Movies you've seen recently

Watching A Few Good Men on Sundance. I’ve seen pieces of it channel surfing. This is the first time I’ve watched from the beginning.

I’m enjoying it. I wish Sundance didn’t censor language.

It’s certainly far fetched that 2 men facing life in prison for murder would reject a plea deal for 2 years. But, you wouldn’t have a movie without a trial. I’m willing to play along.

IFC and TCM dont censor their films. I usually wont watch films on the other channels. The sad thing is that they are cable networks and they dont have to censor their films.

Sundance aired Fast Times at Ridgemont High earlier this afternoon. I’ve seen it several times on DVD. I had no interest in seeing it censored on Sundance.

There is an audience that wants to see movies that have been made family friendly. I prefer seeing the original version.

(raises hand) Never saw The Goonies.

We watched a Simon Pegg movie called Kill Me Three Times. It was like a Tarantino movie, without the snappy dialogue. It was odd to see Pegg in a movie that wasn’t really a comedy, though it did have some laughs. We liked it fine.

It’s possible that when I said “everyone” saw The Goonies, I might have been exaggerating slightly. I recognize that there is no film literally everyone has seen. However, I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that it was a popular and commercial movie from about 36 years ago.

Goonies had only the 9th highest box office gross in the U.S. in 1985. The only way I can think to classify it as that popular is that it was the only one among the top 10 highest grossing movies in 1985 that was aimed at kids. I presume then that what you mean is that it was the film that almost everyone (in the U.S.) your age saw that year:

If we’re going to nitpick, I’d say that Back to the Future was also aimed at kids or at least teenagers. (And I was nineteen and in college when The Goonies was released.)

I saw a few movies over the weekend.

False Positive (Netflix) - I don’t know why I even attempted this one as birth / pregnancy stories have no interest for me and this one was no different. I ended up only watching about a half hour but Pierce Brosnan as the “brilliant but unconventional” doctor was worth it.Just watch him lube up that speculum I also was quite put off by the lead actress, though I can’t put my finger on why. I won’t go so far as to say “avoid it” because I think there are some good elements and the subject matter might be more interesting to other folks.

Apostle (2018) Good, scary period piece with Dan Stevens as a failed missionary who travels undercover to a remote island to rescue his sister who is being held there by a religious cult.
Interesting premise and some great performances, especially by Michael Sheen. There’s one scene that is especially gory.

Spell (Hulu, I think) - A captive situation a la Misery, with Loretta Devine doing a wonderfully sadistic turn as a “root worker” (Hoodoo practitioner). Not the most original but I thought it was spooky fun.

I just watched the AppleTV documentary 9/11 inside the president’s war room.

Regardless of politics and opinions on Bush et al, it does give a good breakdown of the timing and the whole’fog of war ’ situation but nothing earth shattering

Worth watching if you have the time, but I wouldn’t go out the way to obtain the time.

Did You Hear About the Wagners? (Netflix). Hugh Grant and Sarah Jessica Parker are an estranged New York couple who go into the witness protection program in Wyoming, hosted by Sam Elliott and Mary Steenburgen.

Stale fish-out-of-water tropes. Stale estranged-couple-reconciling tropes. The only funny line is in the trailer.

I understand that. But you should understand that you may be taking your personal experience and applying it in general.

The Goonies is a kid’s movie. I feel most of the people who have seen it, saw it when they were kids. So I feel many of the people whose childhood had ended before 1985 never saw it.

I don’t know why the box office for that is supposed to prove that it isn’t a popular or well-known film (especially since the 9th highest of the year is pretty high.) This is a film that seemed to always be on rotation on TV when I was a kid, and I definitely rented it on VHS. I also remember seeing it shown at summer camp in the early 1990s. None of which have anything to do with the box office in 1985. For those whose childhood’s were from the late 1970s-1990s, this movie is extremely well-known.

I saw Apostle and only thought it was OK. Can you spoiler-tag remind me of the gory scene? I have forgotten.

Wait, wait… The Goonies has a non-human character? I’ll have to go back and watch it for the 187th time and keep my eyes peeled.

Even worse, Kaffee said they would be out in 6 months.

The “purification” scene where the young man is strapped down and they drill into his head :nauseated_face: I thought it was perfectly horrifying to see Quinn turning the crank; absolutely no need to show the aftermath.

It wasn’t claimed just that it was popular. It was claimed that everyone saw it. No, they didn’t. Actually, now that I look again at the list of top ten 1985 films by North American grosses, the really surprising one was Spies Like Us. It’s mostly forgotten now and it got bad reviews even back then. Sometimes this happens. The fact that a movie makes a lot of money quickly doesn’t mean that it will be remembered.

I have seen the light and I shall endeavour never to exaggerate again.

Wow, thanks for clarifying that. Until reading your post I had thought that every single human on the planet had seen that film.