Movies you've seen recently

Waggy doesnt understand that millions more saw it on HBO or Showtime because it was popular and fun to watch.

Add me to the list of people who have never seen Goonies. I only heard about it recently in relation to Josh Brolin, he of Avengers, Sicario and Deadpool fame, who apparently appears in it. I do remember back to the future, and I have seen Spies like Us as well neither of which I saw in theaters.

In any case, back to the topic at hand. Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story This is was as amusing as I remembered it even though it does feature a now cringeworthy cameo by Lance Armstrong. It was fine when I first saw the movie but this time, with all that we know, it does feel a bit uncomfortable.

The Game Plan starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. I mention his name and moniker specifically because apparently this is the last time he was credited as such. It was a perfectly inoffensive comedy about a football player who finds out he has a daughter. It is a fairly paint by numbers story, with a little bit of a message, that worked mostly because of the likeability of the actors.

Free Guy in theaters. A little bit of a twist as far as video game movies since it isn’t based on one and the protagonist isn’t a player. The story and visuals were fun. as well as the easter eggs and cameos, which were fortunately added at the right places instead of being the defining element of the film. A fun comedy that I will very likely watch again once it is on streaming. Also there is trailer/promo with Korg and Deadpool doing a reaction video to the film which is also fun.

(edited to add the part about korg and deadpool)

//i\\

I rewatch that just for the wrench-throwing scenes.

I, also, have never seen Goonies. From what little I know of it, and now that I’m in my late fifties, I doubt I ever will.

Just finished watching Love And Monsters, a cute little “after the apocalypse” movie.

Okay. A good week for bad movies.

I know I’m late to this Pitting, but watched The Rock a couple days ago. I’m still pissed. This was so bad, I don’t know if it was a real “action” film, a comedy, or some kind of pastiche of something. Now is near the top of my “Worst Movies Ever” list.

Being nothing else on in the time-slot, I watched Ruby in Paradise today. Worthless, boring, nothing. I looked it up on Wiki to see what it was I was missing. They called it a ‘character study’. Well, Fuck. I’d rather do math homework. Jesus, this movie was pointless dreck. Again, late to the party.

Why the fuck are all the movies on the ‘Premium’ Channels 30 years old crap???

Edit: Never seen Goonies

The Rock is a Michael Bay film, and he’s someone who thinks ‘over the top’ still isn’t enough. He defined a new generation of action.

The Irony is Killing Me! I’ve heard of Michael Bay from South Park or some other pop-culture stuff, about how shitty his films are.

So, there is this: Back when this mess of a movie was about to be released, I won some kind of radio station phone-in contest. I got a tool box, with a big “The Rock” sticker on it, a real nice Genuine Black Swiss Army Knife (again, with The Rock logo on the back side) and some other stuff that I don’t remember. But I guess it didn’t include tickets to this Shit Show, because I would have remembered that piece of crap if I ever saw it.

But that Swiss Army Knife, despite having many, many of them, is one of my favorites. It’s literally “The Sharpest Tool” in my box. Not sure of the exact model, but it has no toothpick or tweezers, but DAMN! Sharpest blade of all my knives.

It was on the coffee table not 3 feet from me as I screamed at the TV about how bad that movie was.

I think I’m gonna scrape that logo off.

Okay. It’s a Tinker. But no toothpick or tweezers. Not a single “The Rock” one listed on eBay. Humm.;;

I wonder if he’s got the rights to the name back: Young Rock.

(Also, there’s an in-joke in Rampage where he’s speaking in sign language to the ape. He says his character’s name but the sign he uses is “rock”.)

The intro to ESPN 8 (“If it’s almost a sport, it’s on The Ocho”) had me laughing harder than any film in recent memory. I think it was the shot of the water-skiing squirrel that pushed me over the edge.

My favorite movie is The Goonies and in my top 10 is Dodgeball, so it’s painful to hear that people either haven’t seen or don’t like either.

I understand if The Goonies doesn’t hit like it does for me. If you don’t have the cultural connection to going out of the house on an adventure as a kid, the very premise could keep you at arm’s length.

The Lance Armstrong cameo in Dodgeball is even funnier now as it fits in with the movie’s satire. It’s a beat-for-beat hero’s journey and sports movie disguised by slapstick comedy. Cotton McKnight and Pepper Brooks should call actual NFL games (or maybe Olympics along with Kenny Blankenship and Vic Romano).

Anyway. I watched the Sony/Netflix animated musical, Vivo. The overall flow of the movie left a lot to be desired, but Lin-Manuel Miranda shows how talented he is by half-assing a Cuban “Coco” with everything that’s good and bad with that. Good songs, some are very Lin-Manuel-y. Good sentimentality at the beginning and end, but the second act falters. 3½/5

@garygnu Happy Birthday!

:birthday:

Woo Hoo! Thanks.

I had no idea they put a little cake next to our name. i better go make sure my birth date is entered!

As a result of this film ESPN has transformed some of their channels on occasion to be ESPN8: The Ocho. ESPNU, ESPN2, and just last year ESPN itself was transformed to ESPN8: The Ocho.

//i\\

[Moderating]

“No insults” includes “no calling people by a derisive variation of their name”. This is an official Warning for personal insults.

They’ve been doing that on and around every 8th of August (8/8) since 2017.

The Great Ecstasy of Woodcarver Steiner - streams on Youtube(with subtitles)

I maintain a checklist of all of Werner Herzog’s movies I’ve seen and I consider him probably the most important director living today.

This is a movie he made(only 45 minutes long!) about Walter Steiner, a ski-jumper/flyer from Switzerland in the 1970’s. Herzog saw him jump and almost clear the hill and land on the flat ground(a fatal error if it occurs) and was so taken with him, he went and made an entire documentary about him. In it, he basically just spends a few months with him while he attempts to compete and break a world record(he does!) in ski jumping(flying?).

It’s a very Herzog thing to do and kind of hard to explain. Very well made and contains some beautiful slow-motion footage of ski jumping, which was probably even more impressive in 1974 when this was aired on TV originally. The quality on Youtube is not great and I’d love to see it in HD.

It’s clear Herzog kind of envies Steiner and is in awe of him.

Well worth 45 minutes if you haven’t seen it.

Just watched CODA on apple TV , and it’s an apple original. CODA ,child of deaf adults, is about a highschool girl whose parents and older brother are deaf, she is not and basically can sing really well.

Very recommended, many funny moments, sweet and enjoyable, sure a bit predictable and some suspension of disbelief needed , it doesn’t take a lot of thinking about and unfortunately my allergies must have played up a few times during it.