Movies you've seen recently

It’s on Disney+ in the UK (as many Hulu shows are).

Hey! It’d be another “versus” series, like I had in my thread.

I’d like to see Predator vs. Arthur’s Bank Account

I was headed out the door a couple days ago just a Get to Know Your Rabbit was coming on TCM. Told the DVR to save it. It starred Tommy Smothers, Orsen Welles, John Aston and Kat Ross. I figured that can’t be all bad! About a guy who quits his job to become a magician.

Oh, so wrong! Stunningly Derelict. Stupid from start to finish. Not funny, not clever, not watchable. Ranks very close to Top Ten worst movies I’ve seen. Welles underacted (like he didn’t want to be there, and wasn’t there for long), Aston over-acted (as usual) and Smothers didn’t really act at all.

It was just bad.

I watched The Age of Adeline on Netflix last night. Blake Lively is the lead. I really enjoyed it!

I was a little surprised to see Turner Classic running the first two Tarzan movies last night. Ostensibly, they were part of a Maureen O’Sullivan “night.”

There were some cringeworthy scenes in those movies by today’s standards.

Prey was excellent. Some predictable beats, but I’m not asking for anything fancy, and it had a hero who was fun to root for.

You jest, but this would be awesome!

I happened to tune into TCM in the first “Tarzan” movie. It was the scene where the elephant comes along after Tarzan has been mauled by the lion. The lion wrestling scene wasn’t nearly as scary as seeing Tarzan being carried by the elephant…by his HEAD ! The first cut is of the elephant carrying the body (maybe not a stuntman, but a dummy ?) with the guy’s head in the elephant’s mouth ! I was shocked. It wouldn’t take much of a jerk to just snap the guy’s neck. At some later point, the elephant has adjusted to carrying the body with its trunk.

Anyone but me remember the Tarzan vs the Nazis or somesuch? I know I saw it on Saturday AM TV when I was a kid

It’s this one.

Ah!! I wonder if it’s still shown, so not politically correct~~~~~~~~~~

That’s the one where the Germans think Cheetah is Hitler

You know it must be bad when the title itself is a spoiler.

Road to Perdition 2001 with Tom Hanks

I’m catching up and watching Tom Hanks movies.

This is the first time I’ve seen Hanks play a very sinister character. He’s a mob hitman that is betrayed by his employer’s weak, half-crazy, POS son. The heir to the mobsters territory. Daniel Craig does a noteworthy job playing this unlikable and contemptible character.

It’s a good movie. It starts very slowly and the pace of the plot really accelerates about 30 minutes into the film. The sparse dialog throughout the film does make the film a little difficult to follow. I could see tv viewers watching the first 15 mins and switching channels. That would a unfortunate mistake.

I saw it on Paramount+. The lack of commercials makes a big difference. I didn’t have a reason to channel surf.

My only complaint is Jennifer Jason Leigh’s forgetable role. I’m surprised she took such a small part with very little dialog. She barely says a dozen words to her husband (Hanks) or kids. This was just a few years after her starring roles in Last Exit to Brooklyn and Single White Female.

I don’t know if this counts as a “movie,” but I just watched the HBO doc The Chernobyl Tapes which is almost (completely?) exclusively made from recordings made by the Soviets when they thought fixing the disaster would show them as great heroes.

Spoiler alert: it didn’t.

Man, worth watching, but so sad and infuriating at the same time. I find documentaries are often more moving for me than dramatized movies/series. The Chernobyl series was good, but didn’t pack the same punch as this film. It’s like the movie Apollo 13 wasn’t as engrossing to me as the documentary made by PBS (was it on Nova?). The movie was well done, and Ed Harris is a great actor, but when the real life guy he played (totally blanking on his name – the guy who always wore a fancy vest) got to me so much more when he broke into tears when he talked about the astronauts surviving.

Recommended, but be aware it’s very disturbing.

Gene Kranz.

Thank you! I was way too lazy to google.

The Mask of Zorro

Very fun, charming, and pretty comedic Zorro movie with Antonio Banderas and Anthony Hopkins. Honestly, I’d forgotten how great it was. My son and I watched it and laughed, cheered, and smiled throughout. I’d forgotten how great Anthony Hopkins is in this movie. It’s fun all around.

The Legend of Zorro

Yeah, so an OK sequel, but a noticeable step down. It took seven years to get the sequel made and the absence of Anthony Hopkins(died in the first movie) really takes a lot away from this movie. Nothing is quite as good and it doesn’t have the fun spark that made the first movie a blast. It’s not terrible, but I could tell that my memory about this movie had been right. Disappointing, but still pretty fun.

Shame they stopped after two of these movies. I think lessons could be learned from the sequel and there was still life in the series.

My son now gets that Puss in Boots is a comedy version of Zorro.

Next: Zorro: The Gay Blade!

It is a wonderful film!