Movies you've seen recently

On DVD I just watched The Battle of Algiers.

I watched a few movies last week and at least two featured major N-word Bombs. The Unforgiven (Burt Lancaster/Hepburn) and another I can’t remember.

My dad knew this guy! Mom told me about having dinner with him and his wife many times.

I just realized, The Old Guard passes the Bechdel Test.

I did, too. I remember when it first came out and I thought, “Hmm, that looks interesting,” but then I didn’t see it until a year or so ago. Lively was very good, and so was the actor who plays the young Harrison Ford character - and who looks and sounds remarkably like him. I almost think he could have a niche career playing a young Ford whenever needed.

Here’s an excerpt, for those who haven’t seen the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwLv993khfI

I liked the movie - a good Depression-era period piece - but wouldn’t describe Hanks’s character as “very sinister.” He’s more of a hitman with a heart of gold. Agreed as to Craig, and as to Leigh - she was wasted in that part. Paul Newman is very good as the aging, world-weary Irish Mafia boss, though.

Tom Hanks is sinister in:

• The Ladykillers
  • Cloud Atlas

if you would like to see him as a villain in other things. I am not sure how many other times he’s been a villain.

TCM recently showed the Milton Berle 1949 movie Always Leave Them Laughing. I wasn’t really sure what to make of it. On one hand it was fun to see Milton Berle at his best (during the height of his TV career), but the jokes were certainly of a different time. I had to rewind the piano sketch to watch it a second time - lots of fun but also lots of groaners in there. What caught me off guard was seeing Bart Lahr as an aging vaudeville star, doing some of his best work - hey, that’s where the Cowardly Lion’s mannerisms. We all know the jokes and expressions; they’ve entered our consciousness, but movie audiences of the time probably had a great time watching it.

Rewatched Kung Fu Hustle for the first time in years. It was even better than I had remembered it being.

His A&R guy in That Thing You Do! wasn’t exactly a villain… but he wasn’t a good guy, either.

I watched Scream 2022 and the original Scream from 1996. It was interesting to see the changes in the original cast. Neve Campbell,David Arquette and Courtney Cox have been associated with the movie franchise for 24 years.

I appreciate the dark humor and parody of the horror genre. I probably won’t bother with the sequels 2,3, and 4. I doubt the plots are much different. They’re not currently on Paramount+.

Paramount+ is dropping several movies Aug 31. I’m watching as many as I can while they’re available. My years subscription ends January 2023. I’m still debating if I want to renew.

Your math seems a little off.

(“There’s a formula to it! A very simple formula!”)

I just woke up and the coffee is brewing.
26 years. :wink:

I can barely spell my name before that first cup of joe.

His character isn’t a good guy in his current movie Elvis.

Did Hanks give up Comedies after Joe vs Volcano? He made some good comedies early in his career.

His Dramas keep getting better and better.

I want to watch Apollo 13 this month.

JvstV came out in 1990. He did the The Ladykillers in 2004. Plus there’s voice roles, comedy guest appearances, and tiny bits like in Elvis Has Left the Building. (How many Elvis-related-ish movies has he made? Let’s see there’s Forrest Gump, and …)

I don’t think you can make that call. At the end of the movie he was a sort of antagonist, but that was because Jimmy quit, TBP disappeared and Lenny was in Vegas marrying a showgirl. Somebody had to take care of business. If he wasn’t a good guy he could have torpedoed Jimmy ever recording for Play-Tone again. Yet Jimmy recorded for them multiple times after the events of the movie. If you watch “Dance With Me Tonight” you see Mr. White getting into the music.

He was a pragmatist. He recognized that the Wonders were just a medium-talent band who had one hit in them, maybe two. He pushed them as far as they could go, made whatever money he could and cut them loose when they were spent. If Jimmy could make him some more money afterwards, then why not work with him?

Again, he wasn’t a bad person. But when dealing with a bunch of enthusiastic kids who are just finding their way in show business, a good person would have been perhaps more genuinely sympathetic and less predatory - although I’m not sure a good person would have been in his business in the first place.

On behalf of A&R people everywhere…you are probably right!

I consider The Terminal a comedy. Not many people like that movie, but I think it’s delightful.

Don’t the Toy Story movies count as comedies?

The Lone Ranger (2013)

Flawed, but the way it was panned by critics is unfair. The movie needed some tightening up, but it is actually quite a bit of fun. If you skipped this one due to poor reviews, you should really pick it up and check it out.

If you don’t do that, you should at least check out one of the final 10 minute or so sequences that is one of the finest action set-pieces and sequences ever put on film. Really an incredible achievement.

If you like, the “best part” starts at 2 hours, 4 minutes. It’s about 10 minutes long and is fun, funny, exhilarating, and breathtaking.

Here is part of it, but you really need the whole thing: