Moving soon...looking for advice.

Well, it looks like its time for that old fashioned military tradition to rear its ugly head again…PCS season. I’ve been up here in Alaska for going on 3 years now, and I got word that it’s new assignment time, and the Air Force is going to drag me kicking and screaming away from the backcountry skiing I’ve come to know and love.

It looks like they are going to be sending me to the San Antonio area in about the July timeframe. Here’s where you come in…I’ve spent almost zero time in Texas in my lifetime, and never really envisioned actually moving there. I’m looking for advice on moving to SA…good places to live, etc. For reference, I’m early-thirties, single, with a dog, into live music and that sort of thing, looking to find the area that generally caters to that demographic…single life, nightlife, culture and art sort of thing. Also looking for advice on gyms, not-to-miss activities, and any potential pitfalls unique to the area. Anyway, thanks for any help or advice!

All cotton clothing is your FRIEND. San Antonio, unless it has undergone a dramatic climate change, is very hot and very humid. I think that it’s safe to say that you will not be able to do any sort of skiing anywhere near there.

I was young and married and had a child there, and that was more than a quarter of a century ago. So I don’t have any helpful advice as to lifestyle. I don’t know if the Riverwalk is still there or not. It was fun when I was there.