mpeg repair

Are there any free or shareware programs to repair MPEG files? I have a dozen or so that I cannot fast-forward or jump to a certain time. I don’t want to but something like this as I only have a few items to fix.

Thanks

Testy

Uhhh, how about buy something like this. That preview is a heck of a feature.

Testy

Usually the reason you can’t scrub through them is because they’re incomplete. That is, they’re short of just a few bytes. MPEG compression uses something called GOP (Group Of Pictures) which is it compares frames with each other to work out the best compression method, in groups. If one of those groups, usually the last one, is incomplete, it won’t play correctly.

Anyway, the point is, you can’t replace missing frames, but you might be able to edit out a few more frames at the end, if you’re clever.

Try something like VirtualDub.

Guanolad Thanks for this, I’ll give it a try. It is extremely irksome when I have a 700MB movie that shows up in Videomach as having only 2000 frames.

Thanks again

Testy

Holy Moley! Guanolad I took a 225MB MPEG file and wrote it out as an AVI. This worked extremely well and I can now zip through the video, pause it, whatever I wish. Only one small problem. The AVI output file wound up as 17GB! This is a bit of an issue as I don’t have anything to recompress that large a file back into MPEG format. Any ideas?

Thanks

Testy

TMPEGENC has a free mpeg encoder you can download. You also might want to compress your AVI audio and video in VirtualDub.

TMPEGENC
Thanks for this. I didn’t realize VirtualDub would compress the thing. If I can find out how to do it I’ll just leave it in AVI format and be done with it. I’ve only had VirtualDub installed for an hour or so and I’m still learning it.

Thanks again

Testy

When you go to save the file, look at the bottom of the window and you should see two boxes–a pulldown with ‘Full Processing’ visible and a greyed our box with ‘Uncompressed’ written in it and a button off to the side. Hit the button, and you’ll get a list of different codecs you can recompress the file to. Compressing the audio is a little trickier, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s already compressed.

What probably happened was you left it on the defaults. Uncompressed will make huge files–even lossless codecs like Huffy and Lagarith will compress to a fraction of the size. If you’re worried about video quality I’d suggest using a lossless codec or uncompressed first, then compressing the resulting file to the codec of your choice.

BTW, I hope you realise that .avi is a container–there’s different ways of compressing the video that will all result in the same file-type. I could compress a video 6 different ways and yet they would all be .avi files.

Jayn Newell

Thanks for this. I found out what I needed on the newbie part of the forum. I can just set the defaults under the “video” tab and then write the output.
As far as the AVI format being a “container” I’m not sure I follow that. I am aware that I can use different codecs to write the file but ihantought ofAVI as bing a container. Can you expound on that a bit?

Thanks again

Testy

Jayn_Newell

Let me try this again, hopefully without looking like I’m illiterate. (The batteries on my wireless KB died.) OK, as I mentioned before. I found out how to do this. I’m using an MS MPEG-4 codec which is working well.
I didn’t really follow you on the “container” part of your post. I am aware I can use numerous codecs and still have an AVI file but never thought of this as a “container.” Could this just be terminology?

Thanks again

Testy

It’s just terminology really, meaning what you just said. Glad you got things figured out.

Jane_Newell

Great, glad I understand what I thought I did and thanks again.

Regards

Testy