Mr. Arafat, Context, and Board Rules

You do have the right to challenge someone for misquoting you. You were not misquoted. No one changed or added or subtracted any word from the sentence that was quoted.

I am not surprised, as you continue to demonstrate your lack of understanding of the point.

It is not misquoting someone to selectively post a sentence if nothing is changed within it. Your insistence that a quote must include an entire paragraph is simply a rule that you have made up. It is not part of the typical rules of editing in journalism. THAT is what I mean by “setting up your own rules.”

And in this thread, you are repeating your accusation of trolling (a violation of board rules that I will overlook for the moment). To support your claim, you link to an article by Cecil, but nothing in his article supports your accusation without you giving some special interpretation to his words that do not actually bear on the thread in question.

Well, that would be due to the fact that the thread was not particularly interesting and I did not spend my days reading it until I received several Reports regarding accusations of trolling. Few posters in that thread covered themselves in glory with their behavior, but it tended to remain the sort of wrangling that is common in Great Debates until the last couple of pages.

One statement to refrain from falsely accusing another poster of misquoting one and another statement to tell a poster to stop accusing another of lying is “heavy handed”? That is one way to look at it.

If Post #88 was a violation of the rules, then you should have Reported it. I see no such Reported Post in my in-box.
You are right that I did not read the entire thread. For six and a half pages, no poster felt the need to report any other’s actions and, after reading the first page of the thread, I had not found it sufficiently interesting to keep reading. When a post was Reported, I read back over several preceding posts to see what had prompted the post in question. I found the typical bickering that frequently stands in for debate in that forum. I found only two accusations of dishonesty and one accusation of trolling. I addressed the two accusations of dishonesty (leaving the trolling report to Jonathan Chance who had responded a few minutes, previously).

If there were other rules violations, you should have reported them, then, rather than waiting weeks and weeks to report them from a totally different thread. (At least, you seem to have backed away from the odd claim that Honesty actually had been misquoted.)