Multi-zone receiver (audio-related)

I’m not sure whether this should be in IMHO or GQ, but I’ll start in GQ:

I have a Sony bookshelf stero system ( Sony MHGCX9000 ). Wiring for extra speakers is in several different rooms of my house and to my deck for outdoor speakers.

Currently, the extra speakers (deck speakers and bedroom speakers) are spliced into the main speakers for the Sony system. I’d eventually like to get a multi-zone receiver to handle the extra speakers, but right now the current setup is working (nevermind that all the speakers are live all the time as long as the system is on).

My question is whether or not I’m damaging my system by splicing in the extra speakers.

I’m a home theatre/audio novice. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh, I found this thread via search that brought up some interesting information about switches.

What was the outcome of your quest, cowgirl?

• There are generally-advised methods for doubling speakers, and quadrupling speakers. This page shows them, and explains why (scroll down a bit)-- http://www.recess.co.uk/tech.html
        —Basically, there is no easy way to add “any”-number of speakers, and still have everything working well. For best results the amplifier has to always be connected to the same amount of impedance, no matter what combinations of speakers are in use–and this is damn difficult in practice to do. You end up using resistors or inductors just to load the amp properly, and these things don’t contribute to the sound output so this is not ideal. In the past dual-voice-coil speakers were used fo rthis, but that concept seems to have been lost to antiquity. There are standardized circuitries for switching among two, three and four speakers, but not much beyond that.
  • One reference book is available online, the Radiotron book dates from 1953, is mostly concerned with tubes but the chapters on other aspects still apply. The concerned chapter is chapter 21, and it’s not big–570K, only nine pages. It shows some switching circuits for multiple-speaker systems: http://geek.scorpiorising.ca/RDH4.html (follow one of the mirrors, and then look at chapter 21).
  • And as far as risking damage, if you have added all your speakers wired in parallel, you’re lucky the stereo hasn’t blown already. It would certainly have been running way hotter than normal.
    ~

Thanks, DoucC.

The link from your post explained a lot to me about connecting parallel vs. series (especially the diagrams). I’ll do the math and figure out what’s best for my system. I’ll disconnect the extra speakers in the interim.