Unfinished SympathyI Killed Her But That’s Not the Point
The lyrics aren’t anywhere on line I can find, but they’re aproximately
“Two fingers on the line, there goes a [the?] little life
bang bang
she’s dead enough for…”
Better Than EzraOne More Murder
“Saturday night, shots ring out,
Add one to the body count.”
AugustanaBullets
“She’s shaking in the car with the gun in her hands
Falling over love and a sweet romance
And I ain’t never thought it could come down to this
A bullet in my head, with the sweetest kiss
It’s in my head”
Le TigreBang Bang
"In New York the shooting of another unarmed black man raises further questions about NYPD tactics. On Friday an undercover policeman shot and killed Patrick Doorsman.
Murder is murder
Why’re they confused?
Another man dead
I read it in the news "
DopeDie Motherfucker Die
“I’ll be sorry so you said,
Well I’m not sorry Bang you’re dead!
Die Motherfucker Die Die Motherfucker Die!”
**22 20s ** Shoot Your Gun
“show me there are some tears behind your eyes
oh baby won’t you cry?
why’d you have to kill to feel alive?”
Kirsty MacCollCan’t Stop Killing You
“See I feel no pleasure
And I feel no pain
So what else can I do?
I can’t stop killing you…”
the rest of the lyrics make me think the “I” is a serial killer, but YMMV
[QUOTE=Miss Purl McKnittington] “The Highwayman”, based on a poem by Alfred Noyes and sung by Loreena McKennitt, among others. I guess Bess’ death would technically be a suicide, but not in the way you usually think of suicide. It’s included in a collection of traditional English ballads I have from , but was apparently written in 1906 and set to music sometime after that. Let’s hear it for for insta-history.
[/QUOTE]
According to her website Loreena McKennitt did the abridging and put the poem to music. Regardless of how you consider Bess’ death, you have to agree that the highwayman’s death qualifies
[QUOTE=Rick]
According to her website Loreena McKennitt did the abridging and put the poem to music. Regardless of how you consider Bess’ death, you have to agree that the highwayman’s death qualifies
[/QUOTE]
Wait a minute. Wasn’t the highwayman an outlaw? I thought the term itself meant “outside the protection of the law,” and that such a one could be killed without penalty, meaning it wouldn’t be a murder.
Springtime In Alaska by Johnny Horton
I was as innocent as i could be
I didn’t know Lil was Big Ed’s wife-to-be
He took out his knife and he gave it a throw
When it’s springtime in Alaska I’ll be six feet below
Flora by Peter, Paul & Mary
I stepped up to my rival
My dagger in my hand
I seized him by the collar
And I ordered him to stand
All in my desperation
I stabbed him in his breast
I killed a man for Flora
The Lilly of the West
And if an imaginary execution counts as murder, I give you The Criminal Cried from The Mikado (by Gilbert & Sullivan, of course)
He shivered and shook as he gave the sign
For the stroke he didn’t deserve
When all of a sudden his eye met mine
And it seemed to brace his nerve.
For he nodded his head and kissed his hand
And he whisteled an air did he
As the sabre true cut cleanly through
His cervical vertebrae, his vertebrae.
Now the state of Alabama says I killed a man
The jury reached the same conclusion
I remember I was there
With a tire iron in my hand
The rest is all confusion
Yeah, the Dealer was a killer; he was evil and mean,
And he was jealous of the fire in her eyes.
He snorted his coke through a century note,
And he swore that Boone would die.
And the stage was set when the lights went out,
There was death in Tucson town.
Two shadows ran for the bar back door,
But one stayed on the ground.
The other day they waited, the sky was dark and faded,
Solemnly they stated, “He has to die, you know he has to die.”
All the children learnin’, from books that they were burnin’,
Traffic’s John Barleycorn:
There were three men come from the West
Their fortunes for to try,
And these three made a solemn vow:
“John Barleycorn must die.”
Grace Slick’s Silver Spoon:
Stay out the kitchen children
The cook is cleaning his gun
He just got back from the open
markey - shooting his food on
the run.
Joni Mitchell’s Pirates of Penance:
I was at sea I tell you I was
Nowhere near the mentioned murder place
Hot Tuna’s 99 Year Blues:
Gotta .38 special man and .45 frame
You know the thing don’t miss 'cause I got dead aim
Got dead aim, got dead aim
Got dead aim, got dead aim
And of course the Doors’ the End:
Father
Yes son?
I want to KILL you…
(The “love generation” certainly were fixated on violent death, huh?)
[QUOTE=cosmosdan]
In the other thread I mentioned a lyric from MArty Robbins El Paso
“One night a wild young cowboy came in. Wild as the west Texas wiiiiinnnnddd
Dashing and daring a drink he was sharing with wicked Felina the girl that I loved.
So in anger I chanlleged right for the love of this maiden
Down went his hand for the gun that he wore
My challenge was answered in less than a heartbeat.
The handsome young stranger lay dead on the floor.”
I never quite understood why a gunfight in a salloon was considered murder but sho nuff, later he is killed by a posse while trying to make it to Rose’s back door.
And I thought he loved Felina :eek:
[/QUOTE]
Felina was a barmaid at Rose’s Cantina, so that’s where he was going to meet her.
[QUOTE=cosmosdan]
Taupin is a brilliant lyricist.
[/QUOTE]
Another John/Taupin song:
Some punk with a shotgun killed young Danny Bailey
In cold blood, in the lobby of a downtown motel
Killed him in anger, a force he couldn’t handle
Helped pull the trigger that cut short his life…
“The Cold, Hard Facts of Life” and “The Ballad of George Leroy Chickashea,” the latter being about a guy who (I kid you not) was “part White, part Black, part Indian” and “carried a .38, a switchblade, and a tomahawk.”