music industry internship

My cousin needs @ 200 hours at an unpaid music industry internship to graduate. He’s had no luck as of yet in finding anything and it’s getting down to the wire. Any ideas for how he could find something, besides just getting the resume out? He lives in NJ and is willing to commute to NYC if need be.

Pitchfork is usually hiring. Here is something I found by searching Google for “indie label” and hiring. Not many indie labels are out of NY, atleast notable ones, but Team Love is an exception. However, ADA is pretty much the distribution company all the major indie labels use, and they are definitely out of NY, NY. Other places to check out are promo companies, like Sunday Aam Promotions. There are offices for both Terrorbird Media and Plantetary Promo in NY, but they are not based out of that city. Actually, you will probably find offices for tons of indie labels in NY, but I couldn’t be arsed to go hunt for 'um unless you are in bono.

Call all the studios in the area and offer to clean the floors / be a gofer while bands are recording. If he has any skills in the studio that is a plus - he can do tedious work that the engineers don’t want to do, too. That is how a few folks have gotten into my friend’s studio - and yeah, I asked, but he is full up right now; sorry.