Music notation question

Hi,

I admit it’s been quite awhile since I took music theory; long enough that I’ve had to start from nearly scratch as I started composing again.

I’m writing a simple song in B flat minor, 4/4 time, nothing weird (except the composition itself, heh.) I am using Anvil Studio, a simple MIDI composition program. The melody pattern goes:

whole note, quarter rest, then three quarter notes. The program inserts a rest of the same value as the value of the notes which you have currently selected; i.e., if I am writing quarter notes, when I click the rest button, I get a quarter rest. So one quarter rest and three quarter notes should take up all the space in that measure, right?

Why then is there a 32nd rest after the “rest note note note” in the 2nd and 4th measures? (and not in the 6th and 8th measures, but then again in the 10th and 12th, and so on.) I know we have to add a “leap second” to our official clocks every so often, but I wouldn’t think extra time would noticeably accrue in sheet music. (I’m joking.)

It has to be some artifact of the program, right? A “feature?” :slight_smile:

Sounds like a bug all right.

It was crap like this that lead me to dump Anvil Studio and blow 50 bucks on NoteWorthy Composer 2. Sibelius it ain’t but I’m much happier with it than I was with Anvil.

It’s to give the player time to turn the page - or, when sight-reading, time to work out the chord in the next bar. Although if I’m sight-reading it, you’ll probably want a half-note rest in there instead of a 32nd note rest :).

Seriously, I agree with fachverwirrt.