Music with awesome brass parts

Just like the title suggests, name some music with really fantastic brass. It can be any genre–classical, jazz, etc. Inspired by the “good piano music” thread that I’m too lazy to find now.

My picks:

-Finlandia by Jean Sibelius, particularly the very beginning. I played this piece in high school, and at first our brass section made those opening chords sound like…I dunno, farting, or something. I was all “…the hell?” and then I listened to a professional performance and was floored.

-Fanfare for the Common Man by Aaron Copland. A little cheesy, I guess, but this piece gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

This is maybe not what you had in mind, but the first thing that occurred to me was They Might Be Giants’ “Birdhouse in Your Soul,” specifically the version they did on the Tonight Show with Doc Severinsen and his band doing the backing brass part. As seen here.

Well, “Fanfare for the Common Man” came to mind too, but you mentioned it in the OP. :slight_smile:

All right, and a bit obvious, but the 1812 Overture, especially the part in between 4:00 and 5:00 in that clip.

And something a little more modern, Paul Hindemith’s trumpet sonata, here performed by Wynton Marsalis.

Dukas, Fanfare from La Peri http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXJxHXe9FeQ

Gabrieli, Canzona per sonare No. 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7b-43oWwJM

This probably isn’t at all what you had in mind either, but you did say “any genre” so if you like bright, fun pop, have an aural gander at the wonderful Helen & The Horns (I love her name too, Helen McCookerybook):

“Surrey With The Fringe On Top”

“Footsteps At My Door”

“Happy Ending”

“Secret Love”

“Take Five” (instrumental)

There are an endless number of marches with awesome brass parts.

Brother - CCS Play very loud, tell me what you think.

The Peanut Vendor - Stan Kenton This impressive to play it live, especially the flautist

Here is a more laid back version,

Cherry pink and apple blossom white

How about something rather differant - David Byrne from his Knee Plays CD - The DVD is a bit crap but the music is pretty good.

Pick up the pieces -Average white band, check out that kilt!

I always love the brass at the end of Keep the Customer Satisfied by Simon & Garfunkel.
If you like brass, you may enjoy the album Searching For the Young Soul Rebels by Dexy’s Midnight Runners. Kevin Rowland shared your passion for brass and was heavily influenced by the groups on the Stax record label and it shows. For singles, Show Me and Genoare as good a representation as any.

Move on upby Curtis Mayfield is a fantastic brass driven song.

Got to Get You Into My Lifeis pretty brass driven too.

Couple more. The amazing Sam & Dave playing “Soul Man” to the world’s most polite audience. Features an astonishing horn section.

Also, if you like Finlandia so much, you may also enjoy Siegfried’s Funeral March by Wagner.

Or indeed Sibelius’ own corker, the intermezzo from the Karelia suite

I like the trumpet playing in OMD’s Forever Live and Die.

The British movie Brassed Off the greatest movie ever made about brass band music.

Since a huge part of most jazz bands, from combos to Big Bands, is the brass, it’s hard to nail down any specific groups or pieces.

That said, sit back and let Nelson Riddle’s arrangement of Frank Sinatra – I’ve Got You Under My Skin blow your socks off.

Once you have heard this, you know what brass can be made to do!

If you do like this, I can recommend others. I’d start with Miles Davis.

Couldn’t find a link to do it justice, but when I discovered Sinatra’s Fly Me To the Moon, that’s when I realized that horns could rock as hard as any gee-tar.

Also, surprised no one’s mentioned early Chicago.

Most obvious: The fanfare in William Tell Overture finale. And if you really want brass, listen to this version.

As alluded to above, here’s some John Phillip Sousa

Semper Fidelis
Stars and Stripes Forever

Also, I’ve recommended this before in another thread, but Shostakovich, Symphony 5, 4th movement

Or Blood Sweat and Tears first album “Child Is Father To The Man”.

Horns rock!

“Goldfinger” - Shirley Bassey (music by John Barry, lyrics by Leslie Bricusse and Anthony Newley). Slays me every time I hear it.

“Procession of the Nobles” by Rimsky-Korsakov (though he was always very generous with the brass section).

If you saw the James Stewart-Kim Novak movie Bell, Book and Candle then you’ve heard The Candoli Brothers and this clip is a decent sample. They’re boss trumpet guys!

I totally agree with this and love it too. Rest of the soundtrack album is pretty great too. Like this track which also features a ton of brass, bringing me back on topic:
Oddjob’s Pressing Engagement.

Burning Ring of Fire - the Mariachi horns make the song

Johnny Cash claimed he heard this song (with horns) in a dream.