Musical Blaspheme (mild)

I hate it when people take rock songs, or even up beat pop tunes, and turn them into slow, easy listening songs. To me, this is musical blaspheme.

Some examples:

So I get into my car to drive somewhere, start it up, and there, on the radio, is a slow, mellow version a great Tears for Fears song Mad World that’s just ending. I don’t know who sang it, and Googling it brings up, besides TFT, **
Gary Jules**, so I’m going to assume he’s the one I heard.

Hey Gary, the song was fine the way it was, why do you have to go and destroy a beautiful thing?

And while I’m at it, hey Sheryl Crow, thanks a lot for ruining *The First Cut is the Deepest *.

And, let’s see…oh yeah, and finally, even though this is kind of old now, but Tori Amos, thank you so very much for your beautiful rendition of Smells like Teen Spirit. You did a wonderful job. No, really, I mean it. No sarcasm here. :rolleyes:

I’ll agree for the most part, I guess, but I found Tori’s “Smells Like Teen Spirit” to be seriously creepy, in a really good way. I felt the same way about her cover of Led Zeppelin’s “Thank You”, also on the same Crucify EP.

Dr. J

The Gary Jules version of “Mad World” was more effective in Donnie Darko than the upbeat TFF version would have been. I do prefer the TFF version though.

Number one: it’s “blasphemy”. With a “y”. “Blaspheme” is the verb form, meaning “to commit blasphemy”, and it’s only two syllables.

Secondly, I rather like Gary Jules’ rendition of “Mad World” as well as Tori Amos’s cover of “Smells Like Teen Spirit” - both are on par with their respective originals. Neither one is anything akin to “easy listening” - have you actually listened to the songs you’re pitting? I’d contend that both songs in question pack considerably more emotional wallop than the originals. Just my opinion.

Can’t say that I’ve ever heard of her version of Thank You, and to be honest, I don’t think that I’ll be in a rush to either :cool:

:o I came in here thinking I did something wrong. So lonmg as you’ve never heard me sing along with Shakira then we’re cool. :o :o :o

Well, OK, if it was effective in a movie, I might cut it some slack. There are songs that I’ve heard in a movie, or durring the closing credits, like City Girl durring the credits for Lost in Translation, that when I hear them by themselves, and not as part of the movie, I don’t like them.

So, even though I’ve never seen Donnie Darko, I can imagine the song setting up some sort of dark and/or serious mood. So I guess that I’ll back off of that one.

Oops, my mistake, thanks for catching it.

Yes, I’ve actually listened. And what would you call slow, mellow songs? To be clear, I don’t mind easy listening. In fact, I love many easy listening songs. It’s just that, for the most part, I don’t like slowing down upbeat songs…with a few exceptions of course, like I like both versions of After Midnight for example.

Am I missing something, or is Sheryl Crows version of first cut more or less the same as the original, except missing the emotion? Its nothing like what Gary Jules did with Mad World, or Tori Amos with Teen Spirit.
If you’re going to use that as an example, at least pick a song they have done something different to, instead of a verbatim copy.

Lame arse rant this one. Blaspheme indeed.

Dude, “easy listening” doesn’t just mean slow and mellow. Easy Listening has become a genre in itself, and implies more than just the pace of the song. Nick Cave sings plenty of slow, mellow songs, but i don’t think you’ll ever find him in the Easy Listening section at your local CD store.

As for the specfic songs you’re discussing, we’ll just have to agree to disagree. I like Tori Amos’s version of “Smell’s Like Teen Spirit” quite a lot. I think the Gary Jules version of “Mad World” shits all over the Tears for Fears version, and the pace and style of his rendition are much more approopriate to the mood of the song’s lyrics. Also, it was the perfect ending to Donnie Darko.

As for Sheryl Crow, exactly which version of “First Cut is the Deepest” did she ruin for you? The Cat Stevens original? P.P. Arnold’s version from 1967? Or perhaps the Rod Stewart hit?

And this gets to the principle at the core of your whining. Music, like other art forms, often benefits from being rethought and modified to suit changing times, changing sensibilities, or different tastes. When you are being strapped down and forced to listen to stuff you don’t like, then i’ll come running to your defence. Until then, learn to live with the fact that not everyone’s taste is the same as yours.