Musicians...looking for a good book of scales

[Sorry, I don’t know why it didn’t post the OP correctly]
Ok guys. As I’ve never actually had a music book containing a complete collection of scales, chords, arpeggios etc., I’d like to get one so I can have them all together in easy access. Does anyone have any reccomendations?

I’d like it to be pretty comprehensive and cover several types of scales- besides just major and minor. I know it’s easy to figure out 7ths, 9ths, etc. from the original scale, but it would still be convenient to have them all together in one book, so I can just turn to a page and play a scale without problem.

It would also be swell if it had blues scales, pentatonic scales, all the different modes, etc. I know classical books wouldn’t have this stuff, but it would be a nice addition.

I play trumpet, by the way.

What I think you want is Patterns for Jazz by Jerry Coker. There’s about a zillion books that are what you describe; this one is considered a classic but it’s certainly not the only one.

As a jazz educator of a sort, I would say to you (although you didn’t ask) you need to be able to play all these scales without having to read them. If you know the major scale and the melodic minor scale, you have access to almost all the scales and chords (exceptions being mainly the non-seven-note scales such as diminished and pentatonic).

I love scales! Have fun!

Arban’s, man, Arban’s. Besides the blues stuff, should have all you need.

Thanks, guys. I’ll check them out. Actually masonite, that’s the reason I want to get this book. I want to know more scales by heart, and I think the best way to get them down would be to get a book with all of them.

Oops. Forgot to log off my brothers account.

Of course, writing your own book of scales would be a productive exercise… :slight_smile:

(My students all hate me)

I was about to suggest not forgetting chords, but if you can manage to play chords on a trumpet somehow I’d be wondering why you’re wasting time looking for a scale book. :stuck_out_tongue: