Muslim Youth Football

There’s a group of young Muslim boys in CA that decided to form a football tournament. Some of the team names were considered insensitive by some Americans. Are the Muslim boys being arrogant, or are the American’s being ignorant?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/12/28/football.furor.ap/index.html

The Americans are being ignorant.

Personally, I’m Jewish, and I don’t find those names any worse than, say, the Maccabees–or any other ethnicity- or religion-based name that isn’t hurting or insulting anyone. They’re taking pride in their heritage. What’s wrong with that?

Wait-- I know what’s wrong with it. It’s un-American. :rolleyes:

I’m with fetus…(never thought i would type those words)

It’s just panic and ignorance.

Let the kids play.

First of all, they are being allowed to play. There was a problem with the names. The names glorified terrorism. I agree that they should have been changed. Players are leaving in a huff over this.

If they wanted to really play it shouldn’t matter what the names are. Hmmmm…
I don’t think they are being malicious but I think that they need to be more sensitive to the fact that they are in this country and people can take those names wrong especially with our troops (and along with the majority of people, I have friends over there) in the Middle East dying!

If someone from Anglo Saxon descent were to form a football league with the name “Muslim hater” or “nazi party friend”, there would be such an outcry. You would have every flaming liberal on CNN screaming about how horrible the Americans are.

From Cnn.com article:

Intifada, “uprising” in Arabic, is a term used by Palestinians for their revolts against Israeli occupation from 1987 to 1993 and over the past three years. Mujahideen, which means “holy warrior,” is associated with several Islamic groups that are on the U.S. list of terrorist organizations.

“The issue is these are words that are linked to real terrorists, real threats, real murders today,” said Rabbi Abraham Cooper, associate dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center.

“There shouldn’t be young Americans chanting the name Mujahideen as American soldiers in Afghanistan and Iraq are put in danger and attacked daily,” Cooper said. “As for Intifada, it has been a disaster for the Palestinians and the nearly 1,000 Israeli children and parents murdered by suicide bombers.”

Muslim leaders have asked the teams to reconsider the names.

“Sensitizing our youths is our role as adults,” said Hussam Ayloush, the executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations in Southern California.

But he also said he believed the players were not being malicious when they decided the names.
Personally, I think Muslim Football All Stars is a great name for a football team.

Perhaps the McMuslims? :slight_smile:

If they had named the teams the Hamas Cowboys, The Hezbollahs, or Three Cheers for al Qaeda, I could see a problem. Intifada, Mujahideen, etc. are just words in Arabic though. It’s the same as a team called the Revolution, or the Warriors.

Or like a team that play in the North of Ireland, Crusaders.

If they can live with Valpo Crusaders then I can live with the Infitada.

… and the Intifada.

If nobody minds a baseball team called the Texas Rangers, why should they complain about the Irvine Intifada?

(The Texas Rangers were historically known by Texans for their effectiveness in settling disputes on the Texas-Mexico border. I understand that theyare still known by Mexicans for their complete disregard for due process of law.)

Perhaps they could set up a friendly with Tottenham Hotspur FC here in sunny old england - THFC are universally known as “the yids”. Now that’s what I call a derby!

A bit out of the way, but do the Muslims use a pig skin?

I think most footballs are made of synthetic materials these days, aren’t they?

They’re made of “composite leather”. Whatever that is.

http://www.topiawebsearch.com/merchants/Kmart/Team-Sports/Football/Footballs/Official/Wilson-NFL-Pro-Tack-Composite-Football.html

It’s a girl’s game anyway.

Worst
Cheerleader uniforms
Ever

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:
That made me laugh out loud. Obviously a Simpson’s fan.