[QUOTE=Der Trihs]
Precisely ! These last thing the various civl rights movements need to do is split into yet more, even weaker little groups. In my opinion, one reason for the ascendance of the Right is the split up of the civil rights movement into more and more jealous little groups. The phrase “Divide and Conquer” comes to mind, except in this case the conquered divided themselves without outside help.
[/QUOTE]
I could not agree more. Last weekend I was on the campus of the University of Toledo ( which is -incredibly - located in Ohio. ). There were posters aplenty encouraging attendance to various events sponsored by the school Multi-Cultural Alliance.
These were well-designed and slickly printed posters. They had photos of past events on some of them. There were no white faces.
Multi-cultural should mean just that.
Civil Rights Movement events should have been all-encompassing but it is not human nature to preserve the ideal at the expense of the emotionally driven process that makes a coalition fall apart into tiny sub-groups. Conquering one’s self through self-division, indeed.
I’m straight. ( well, bi-curious but that ain’t what this thread is about.. ) I’ve close friends who are gay and lesbian. ( ain’t I grand? " Oh god, some of my very very closest friends in the WORLD are you know, gay people…
). This has come up with most of them in conversation. The feeling is overwhelming that bisexuals are taking the cowardly way out- they get to enjoy both gay and straight sexual lifestyles, but get to pass for straight and so don’t do any of the heavy lifting if they chose not to.
I mention this because I wonder if gays and lesbians who may feel as our OP’er does may feel as though the inclusion of trans-gendered folks makes it that much harder to manage the straight public’s response to the group.( the group as defined in the OP, as GLBT ).
It goes to the ugly core of response. This isn’t the Pit, and by no means to I mean to make this become an ugly thread. But it is a bit disingenuous to lay out the discussion without being very honest about what is happening.
We all know what some straights think, because we’ve heard it voiced: I hate gays.
Others think: Well, they keep to themselves and god knows what they’re doing raising those two kids they adopted but my daughter is in gymnastics with their daughter and she says the kid’s a really nice kid and the two dad’s seem to be okay guys but still, well, you know… "
And yet others- and this is what I always figured was the goal- a difficult and possibly unattainable goal- think : They are adults who make the choices they chose, and live the lives they live- just as I do. Who am I to judge or remark upon how they live their life? Let em be as happy or not as anyone else.
And, all variations in between. Is it possible that gays and lesbians who feel as the OP’er does are afraid that most folks on the planet can wrap their head around another man being with another man, but cannot wrap their heads around a person being born inside of the body they should not inhabit who did what they had to do, to live in a sane and healthy way throughout their life?
-sigh- I’m afraid I’m gonna get flamed, or in trouble for saying this this way but it really is the core issue- I think that gays and lesbians see bisexual and transgendered folk as muddying waters that gays and lesbians have fought very hard in the last decades to clarify. If GLBT were reduced to GL as a “grouping”, then gays and lesbians would be better able to fight for the rights they fight for now across the country and planet. Why? Because so many straights cannot handle the concept of Bisexuality and Trans-Gendered lives in the same way they can handle Homosexuality.
I’m not in a position to say how I think this should go, and the OP’er is ( and has, with fine manners and grace ). But standing mostly outside of the issue and thinking about it made the quote from Der Trihs’s post resonate.
If the goal is acceptance and enlightenment to the point where all are accorded the same rights, then creating a schism can only unempower the group. Strength in numbers and all.
It’s painful to contemplate, this idea of " Yeah sure, I’m different but you? You’re really very different and so you’re outa here ! " 
Cartooniverse