I have an EV (2015 Nissan LEAF). I like it. It works well for me and my use-case scenario. I think it is a good thing that more EV’s (hybrid, plug in hybrid, full electric) are being bought each year in increasing numbers, and many more models are coming out every year. Looking forward to maybe an electric truck in my future.
So I subscribe to feeds and channels that deliver news about EV’s. It’s fun to keep up, as the technologies and new innovations are coming to market.
In every one of these though, the comments fill quickly with people who post outrageous bullshit and lies about EV’s. I have no idea WHY they go to these EV-centric sites in the first place since they appear to hate EV’s with the passion of a thousand exploding suns. I don’t go to muscle car sites and try to tell people who love Dodge Challengers that their cars are pieces of shit. Why the hell should I care?
These folks post the usual bullshit:
- EV batteries are made of child labor materials that are all running out
- EV batteries only last 5 years and then are put directly into landfills
- EV’s only have 70 miles of range and will not work in cold weather
- There are no charging stations, and if you want to charge at home, you’ll need a $10,000 charger
- You can’t use an EV to tow a 5th wheel 1000 km in -30 weather, and this is my normal daily commute.
- The power grid will collapse if we have more EV’s
- Anyone who likes EV’s is a Marxist Trudeau lover
On this last point - I have noticed a HUGE overlap between the folks who post on these sites and Anti-vax, Anti-mask, Trudeau haters, and a large overlap between folks who post on these sites and Russia apologists.
What I do is logically and reasonably refute their idiotic rants with math, evidence and citations that show they are wrong. (BC Hydro has a great site debunking EV myths, and says the grid is more than ready for many more EV’s)
These posts of mine are usually met with either silence or an explosion of obscenity laden shouting.
I do wonder how many of these folks are real - many do have fake accounts - and how many do this all day for a living with many different accounts.