My beloved, the time has come for us to part

For over twenty years you have been with me every day, we were so attached to one another that I felt I lost a piece of me when I was told that you would be leaving soon. the diagnosis was precise, the symptoms were evident, our time togheter was coming to an end.
And so this evening, while I was lieing with you in the couch you left me. You fought hard to stay with me, your roots in my life were so strong that you just would not give up; and while the final separation was brutal I find comfort knowing that you felt no pain. Odd enough me neither, but I´m affraid that as soon as anaesthetics fade I´ll feel pain, lots of it, the dentist say she hadn´t sweat during an extraction since she can´t remember when, quite a feat considering the cold Winter.

And now if you´ll excuse me I´ll get some ice and an analgesic.

By the way, tell me about dental implants. :frowning:

They cost a fortune.

It could be worse. It could be a molar undergoing a root canal, during which the dentist suddenly drills past the Novocained part of the nerve to the live part below.

My reflexive lunge away didn’t carry me completely out of the chair, but it did scare the bejeezus out of the dentist.

Who nevertheless browbeat me into continuing the partially completed procedure – although it meant enduring further numbing of the nerve via a needle inserted directly through the half-drilled tooth into the live part of it.

Hydrocodone, I discovered afterwards, is a wonderful thing.

Ha! I laugh at you!

This week my dentist handed me this treatment plan:

2 Core Buildups and 2 Root Canals-had the first one today. Lorcet good.
6 fillings-getting 3 done tomorrow
Pulp cap-indirect (whatever that is)
Resin 4 surface
Resin 2 surface
1 Porcelain Crown
6 extractions, one of which is a wisdom tooth (yeah, I’ll be getting a bridge)

Total Cost?

$4057.00

My insurance only covers 1,500.00 a year. So, not only do I have dental ouch, but financial ouch as well, since I’m going to have to get the rest of it financed.

Need stronger drugs.

Tonight I eat peanuts in your honor, Ale.

I hate you.
:wink:

About $ 600 around here, not that* bad; but keep in mind that the average wage in Uruguay is much lower than in the USA. So, as Arden Ranger said, it hurts both ways.

If this is your interpretation of a succesful mocking parody then I know where to place you.

Say what? :confused:

I mean, WTF??? :eek:

Aldebaran recently posted about the loss of someone dear to him under a similar thread title.

My Beloved… Death gave us no warning. Let me honour you.

Oh yes, that one; no it´s not a parody of that, just an unfortunate coincidence of titles (I should have sticked with the “My dear…” but beloved is more dramatic)

*As a general rule, even if I was a total jerk I don´t have the time to actively piss off people. *

You are gonna be so sorry you asked. (I am not a dentist, this is just my first hand experience.) Basically they put a screw into your head or lower jaw.

IIRC, first they numb you up real good, to the point where you hear something like the skin of an apple being poked and then realize it is your gum being pierced by the novocaine. Then they take a scalpel, and make an incision all the way to the bone across the tooth line and then up the roof of your mouth. Then some sort of tool is taken and the excess skin roughed off the bone. Did I mention you are awake for all of this? A hole is made with the drill into the bone and the implant is placed in the bone. I can’t remember if it was screwed in or not, but at the end there was something that looked like a chisel touching the implant and a hammer in his hands. A couple of taps on the hammer, and then you get stitched up. My nasal cavity felt oddly afterwards, but maybe it was all the novocaine. At my next day checkup, he said I did really good, because there was no facial bruising. (I could have been facially bruised???!!)

You now wait a certain amount of time, (I waited 8 months), to heal and make sure you don’t reject the implant. Which luckily I didn’t. Then you go back to get a healing cap put on, and I foolishly thought this involved no further surgery. What a :wally . So now you’re back in the chair and hearing apple skin being poked again. And the scalpel… sigh. They open everything up again and put in a healing cap. By now you’re amazed at what people will willingly allow themselves to happen to them without being tied down, and pay $2,000 for it. :smack: I was shaking and crying but scared to move because the Dr. needs you to stay still.

The healing cap pokes out of your gum, and after you’ve healed, allows a canal up to the nut that’s in your skull (heh), which the crown (another $600) will be screwed onto. Then after three months you go back to your regular dentist, get impressions made, and the lab makes your crown in about three weeks. When the crown is put in, the canal could collapse slightly and your skin will get pinched as the crown is placed.

It feels like a real tooth, and works like a real tooth. The gums however, don’t quite grow back all the way. I would say depending on your age, hold off on getting one right away, since your teeth migrate over the years. There are other options to exhaust first: A flipper, which comes out like a denture, but hugs your molars with two metal pieces, or a Maryland Bridge, which is glued to the back of the two adjacent teeth. I hated my flipper for 5 years, my bridge needed to be reglued 5 times in two years, and so I got fed up. In retrospect, I would have asked to be put to sleep for the two surgeries, but I’m glad I have the implant, because I forget that I have one. I’m no longer feel like an old lady that has to take her tooth out at night or look for it when someone comes to the door. Sorry so long, I hope this helps you to make your decision.

You didn’t.
It was just the feeling of the knife turning around in my heart that made me jump
like a wounded tiger.

Please accept my apologies.

Salaam. A

No worries here.

miamouse, bring it on! I say… I´ll probably be saying “Mommy!!!” at the dentist though. :stuck_out_tongue:
No really, it doesn´t sound that bad really, is a definitive solution after all so I´ll bite the bullet and get it done.

Bite the bullet? If I were you, I’d stick to trying to bite chicken soup. Or custard. OH I fear dentists SO much. Brave Ale :frowning:

You are SO brave. :cool:

Or worse, thinking that you’re numb, only to feel the initial drilling when you expect to feel nothing.

Then you end up in tears in the dentist’s chair, and take an hour or so to calm. Oh, and you’re so tense that it takes at least four more shots (I really don’t remember at this point how many it was) to get you numb enough that you’re willing to let them back in your mouth to complete the procedure.
Yeah, that hurt.

That´s one of the reasons why, when I become King of the World, I shall decree that all dentists should keep a large, cartoony looking mallet nearby.

I reserve for my private amusement the other reasons for that.

It was just a matter of when. There’ve been several eulogies recently on here. Just bad timing I guess.

That happened to me … about an hour ago! I was having a single wisdom tooth yanked out (top right, for those interested). He’s grinding around the tooth with some instrument I don’t know (because I barely opened my eyes the whole time) when I feel a tinge. Ow. Then he goes in for the pull. OWWWW!!! That got me interested, that’s for sure.

So, in total, five shots of novocaine and the tooth comes out. Now I’ve got the gauze in place, have to change it soon, one side of my face is swollen (not too bad), and although it’s numb, it kinda hurts.

I have two more wisdom teeth to make waste of, though. One of them has to be pulled by an oral surgeon, so it looks like I’m gonna go for both there - most definitely under some sort of sedative.