My boycott against Ireland

detop,

Irish, Scottish, What’s the difference?

<ducks and covers>

I once stood next to Bertie Ahern at the bar of his local with some illegal substances coursing through my brain. It was quite a thrill, until the “he’s looking at me with googly eyes” paranoia kicked in.

However, I haven’t yet observed our Taoiseach in the act of urination, a privilege I believe Twisty has had.

It’s not every day you get the chance to see a world leader’s penis (well, not since Clinton left office, anyway).

L_C, Bertie is a Northsider like me, although his accent is a bit more oldschool than mine.

jjimm, I didn’t actually look.

Thankyou bryanmaguire and Twisty, Dublin 9 it is.

yup, I live there, too.
We call it Bertieland.
His locals are Fagan’s and on occasion, The Beaumont House
(yep, I used to live in Beaumont).
Never ran into him though.
But if I do, I promise it’ll be hard :slight_smile:

You’re less than 5 minutes from me Elfje. I live closer to The Goblet than the BH, but am known to frequest both.

And Fagan’s on occasion.

So L_C thought a middle class Northside accent was a working class Southside accent…

Sounds about right.

:d&r:

BTW elfje, a few of us live near Drumcondra - give us a shout if you’re ever up for a pint.

Now mind yourself with those Arabian splinters, jjimm :wink:

What, a strapping lad like me?

Geoff?

Creekkkitt bore and proven girlfriend-beater as he is, Fitzwilliam’s least fine son is certainly worth ostracising.

The actual story concerned an absentee landlord’s agent in Ireland who refused to reduce rents to a realistic level and was isolated to get leverage against the policy. Here’s Bartleby’s version of it.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Rigel Haloran *
**detop,

Irish, Scottish, What’s the difference?

Scots are from Irish descent :slight_smile:

not the other way around, as a lot of people think.
Both oppressed by the same nation, so yes, it creates a bond

Braveheart (work of fiction that it is) is a great example of this. In the scene were the Irish are running at the Scots the whole Dublin cinema I saw it in was silent. There was real unease at this scene, it was just wrong. When the Irish and Scots stopped and greeted each other in the middle and became one force against the English the cinema went insane and I mean insane. There were people coming out of the cinema wanting to march on the border then and there. Ahhhhh good times indeed.

Hmm… seems that the Scots were very forgiving of when the Irish invaded them. 1,000 years of oppression and all that… :wink:

And lets not talk about the plantations :wink:

Erm, to be honest the scots were more oppressed by themselves than anyone else, although we are rather good at ignoring the whole lowland v highland confrontation and blaming it all on the English.

‘Divide and rule’, Gary, the unspoken motto of the British Empire.

Anyway, I rather thought it was that the working classes everywhere were opressed by the landed classes … but then I thought the Iraqi war wasn’t about liberation, so there you go …

Perhaps true, but I must point out that the scots had been succesfully dividing and ruling themselves (with claymores) for a long time before England got in on the act.

As a nation we’re awfully good at starting fights and holding grudges - I still know people who won’t shake hands with a Campbell, for instance.

I’d love to join you in your boycott. I don’t drink, Airman took the Bushmill’s with him, and the only beer we’ve got is Yuengling, so I have nothing to worry about, really.

I’d have to get rid of the picture of Aaron pasted on a shamrock from St. Patrick’s Day. Heck, I’d have to get rid of both Airman and Aaron entirely, because they’re both Irish.

Eh, forget it. I’d rather boycott the French by not drinking French wine and not eating French cheese (which I can’t get anyway).

Robin

The Scots as such are ALL from Irish descent, that’s why they were called Scots. The only other group living in Sctoland at the time, were the Picts (you know, the scare guys that the Romans could never conquer, the ones with all the blue tattoos)

have a read:
"The Irish Kingdom of Scotland

The terms Scotia and Scot were first applied to Ireland and Irishmen, but later came to be applied to Irelands northeastern neighbour, Alba and its inhabitants.
Our most ancient poets and seanachies claim that an early name for Eirinn, Scotia, was derived from Scota, queen-mother of the Milesians. The poet Egesippus tells how “Scotia which links itself to no land, trembles at their name” - the term Scotia is, by Continental writers, applied to Ireland more often than any other name. And Scot is the term by these writers most constantly applied to a native of Eirinn. Orosius, the third century geographer, uses “Hibernia the nation of the Scoti”. An Irish exile on the continent, the celebrated Marianus Scotus referred to his countrymen as Scots.
The modern name of Ireland seems to have originated with the Northmen, in about the seventh century - being probably formed from Eire, they called it Ir or Ire, and after that the English called it Ireland, and its natives Irish. For several centuries longer, however, these terms were not adopted by Continental writers, who still continued to speak of Scotia and the Scot, and designated the Irish scholars on the Continent by the term Scotus. The new name Ireland was on the Continent, first used only in the eleventh century (by Adam De Breme).
**To Alba (the present Scotland) was transferred the term Scotia, and to its people the term Scot, because the Scoti of Hibernia, having again and again colonised there, **built in it a strong kingdom, which gave the Scotic (Irish) people dominance there, and soon made the Scotic kings the kings of the whole country.
The Picts naturally jealous of these usurpers on their soil, continued exerting the utmost pressure upon them, in the hope of crushing them out, till Niall of the Nine Hostages, going to their assistance with an army, **overcame and drove back the Picts, establishing the Scotic kingdom in Alba ** on a solid foundation, and, it is said, got the submission of the Picts and the tribute of all Alba. Now that the Scotic people got complete dominance over all or the main part of the country, it began to be called Scotia - at first Scotia Minor, in contradistinction to Eire, which was called Scotia Major - but gradually the title Scotia fell away from Eire, and solely came to signify Alba.