My county board was wiped out by anti-science nutjobs in one election

Not to mention the “I can’t believe these idiots are running the county, so next time I’ll actually vote in the primary” effect.

Plus, quite possibly, the ‘I could do a better job than that guy! Hell, maybe I’ll run for office and prove it!’ and/or the ‘Damn it, somebody needs to run against those people! – maybe even me?’ effect.

We’re talking about very local level politics; no need to raise millions of dollars to run.

I posted about this situation in the Stupid Republican Idea etc. thread. John frickin’ Gibbs. One of the many loons babbling about Satanic bs running in MI that lost. I’ve noticed he always has a sort of vague look on his face like he’s not quite sure what’s going on around him.

I’m in Ionia county pretty red, but afaik nothing compared to the cluster unfolding in Ottawa. I just watched a Grand Rapids channel that reported all this crap went down with no local notice, and wasn’t even listed on the agenda. Sneaky, underhanded, bigots and bullies.

The problem is that no matter how bad the incumbents fuck up, it is the Democrats that will get the blame.

Yep the whole Gibbs thing (and firing of the sitting executive) was added to the agenda mid-meeting.

And, just for shits-and-giggles, this is the Nathaniel Kelly that’s being put in as the Health Department Director. Currently works at a local HVAC company.

And I guess he’s a wannabe actor. He’s the clown to the left pretending to be a ASL translator at a make-believe Gov. Whitmer presser:

Well, at least he has a degree in public health. From Columbia Southern “University.” So there’s that.

That there was some shameless bullshit.

Holy shit. This is the person running your county health department?! I thought Gibbs was a joke. Maybe you could move? I’m so sorry this is just so … I don’t know. It defies description. I worry about the kids in that county.

The pendulum effect is not so much mythological as it is overstated and misunderstood. While there is certainly no guarantee that a bad administration will be replaced by a good administration as the tide of votes “swing back,” it is equally true that really nutcase administrations have screwed up sufficiently to get themselves tossed out in the next ballot. Trump and company are decent examples of that and I have witnessed the same event in my own township and county.

Or before all the businesses not run by bigots and ignoramuses leave the county for good.

So sorry this is happening in your home, @Happy_Lendervedder. At least it looks like the Michigan Attorney General is investigating the board for flagrant violations of Michigan’s open meetings laws:

I would not be surprised if this new board had never heard of open meeting laws and didn’t know they had to observe them - or observe any procedural rules whatsoever. Newbies to state or local governments are often under the impression that they can do whatever they want in any manner they want, and are surprised to find out that’s not the case.

“It’s not FAIR we want to conspire and cheat and stuff”

The fundamental problem with them is that they’ve combined things that are and should be basic science, standard knowledge, and common courtesy with religion and politics, and have the flawed belief that teaching these things is politicizing and indoctrination.

I mean, these dipshits, if you were to pin them down, probably agree that it’s a parent’s choice whether their child is taught that the Earth is round or not.

That’s the problem here- it’s not stuff that’s actually open to debate that’s necessarily the problem- like say… trans acceptance, but it’s more basic stuff that should be less controversial, if they were less insane. Stuff like masking, vaccinations, basic health information, separating history from myth, etc…

I was reminded of this thread by the news that Michigan Republicans chose the most extreme candidate they had for state chair at their convention. The winner, Kristina Karamo, had refused to concede her defeat for secretary of state last year despite losing by 14 points. She Trump-endorsed candidate Matt DePerno, who only lost his race for AG by six points, but committed the unforgiveable sin of conceding.

I know this doesn’t help you @Happy_Lendervedder with your local politics, but hopefully Michigan Republicans are going so far down the rabbit hole that they’ll lock themselves out of state office for the foreseeable future.

I agree, they don’t seem to actually want to win statewide elections right now. I suppose being the perpetual whiny victim pays better.

I posted in the 2024 Senate races thread that I don’t think Michigan will be competitive for Republicans in 2024 (or beyond) as long as the state party continues to support nutballs. Locally? Well, that’s a different story.

The absurdity and idiocy of the Ottawa County board is featured in Politico today.

Interesting that one of the newly-elected nutters is already at- risk of being primaried in the next election, for, among other things, potentially showing too much empathy toward the opposition and questioning the Board’s tactics.

The leopards are already looking hungrily at the faces around them…

When politics becomes a purity test, everyone will try to out-crazy the others to remain in the good graces of the nuts.

That is what they miss.

Their own religious (etc.) rights are protected if everyone else’s are. If nobody else’s are: their own aren’t safe either. They’ll wind up eating each other.

It’s like Highlander:

"In the end, there can be only one "