My dog died today. Goodbye, Abby

Considering the currently extant threads in MPSIMS on the deaths of people, I don’t want to be too overdramatic in this thread. I just wanted to post something for myself.

Some of you who have visited tatertot’s homepage will have seen Abby already, probably just by accident. (Abby can be seen in the middle of this page on the left-hand side.) Abby was our faithful pet for 12 and a half years. She died this evening at about 8, at home. We still don’t know how it happened; she was fine one minute, and the next she had fallen over and we were unable to revive her. I’m still having a hard time believing it happened, because she was in perfect health, and at her last visit to the vet the vet thought she could live for another ten years. I’m glad that it happened at home, and my mom and dad and I were there so that we could say goodbye one last time.

I know losing a pet isn’t like losing a member of our family, and I know that I’ll be feeling better soon. It’s just that Abby was so much a part of our routine and our daily lives that there’s going to be a void for a while. For 12 years my parents have taken Abby for her morning walk every day, fed her at the same time, let her go to bed at the same time. Every day when my dad came home from work Abby would race up to him, and dad would scratch her stomach. It’s going to be strange now that those routines are gone. It’s also going to be sad because Abby was such a good companion, especially to my mom. When mom watched soap operas in the afternoon, Abby would sit next to her. If she taped them to watch in bed at night, Abby would lie in the bed with her when she watched. Mom felt safe in the house when Abby was around: even though Abby was only a little terrier, when a stranger came to the door she would make a huge racket. And when mom walked around the house doing things, Abby always followed her from room to room like a lost sheep. I know my mom will miss her the most.

It’s hard to say of a dog that people loved her. But it really was true of Abby. Everyone liked being around her. My brother-in-law, who hates dogs, even liked Abby because “she didn’t act like a dog.” Abby liked being around children, which is pretty unusual for a Westie, and didn’t really mind when kids pulled on her hair or her tail. Abby had a funny “personality”, sometimes acting like a bemused child who couldn’t understand why people treated her like a dog rather than a human. A lot of people are going to miss her.

It’s true that Abby never did anything “great” in her life. Especially during the last six years, Abby slept about 18 hours a day, and spent most of the rest of the time eating or digging holes in the garden. No one owes a debt of life to her, and her short time here on earth will, in the end, prove to be of no benefit to mankind. But while she was here, she provided companionship and totally unconditional love to everyone she came into contact with. Would that I could say the same thing about myself.

Goodbye, Abby. (May 11, 1988 - March 1, 2001)

Very sorry to hear about your loss. There is nothing like a good dog.

mike/drop

You’ve moved me to tears. My condolences on the loss of this sweet companion.

:frowning: So sad. I’m sorry for your loss, Duke.

And, while I know what you meant by:

…she was.

I’m very sorry, Duke. Rasa is right–a pet isa member of the family.

bullshit she wasn’t a member of your family. Probably one of the ones who was the easiest on you.
I’m very sorry about your loss- I think it’s a big one.

mike/inor

Her memory will hang around for awhile…You’ll walk into a room and swear that you saw her tail scooting around the sofa; she’ll pop up in the strangest places. This goes away in time.

Our pets are members of our families. They love us unconditionally whether or not we behave well.

My condolences to you and your family.

You can stop thinking that pets aren’t family now…

Trust me, they are.

You have my sympathies.

Duke,

I can’t say much more than what was already said, Abby was a part of your family and a part of your life. Ask anyone here who has lost a cherished pet, they work themselves into your hearts not unlike children.

So sorry for your loss, I know it too well. I hope you can find it in your heart to realize she was very much a part of you and your family’s lives, to let go of a family member is never easy and this includes pets.

Rest assured, she has to be waiting for that loving time with your mom again, waiting with a tongue hanging out and for that scratch on the belly.

Smile but cry if you need to, they are our family, our pets. They love us and we love them, unconditionally. But if the heart needs cleansing, go for it, holding it back can only hurt your heart more.

I still, to this day, on the Wednesday of each week, get a sorrow in my heart for my cat Sam, it was five months this week and it was not easy.

Oh, Duke, I know this sounds stupid and corny but I’m going to miss Abby too. I remember when you sent me her picture, with that postcard of Oxford, and I thought it was the sweetest thing and I could tell how much you loved her. The picture is still hanging on my fridge, at prime eye-level space, so I can see it whenever I go in the kitchen…it makes me smile and giggle.

I love the way you always would tell me about Abby in your e-mails, I dunno, again it’s corny but it seemed like I knew her in some small way.

I wish I could be there right now to give you and your family a great big hug. I don’t know what else to tell you except you’ll all be in my thoughts and thank you so much for sharing Abby with me. That cute little face has given me lots of smiles when I really needed them.

I’m so sorry. I’m crying now, I can’t help it. It’s been more than ten years since I lost my first dog. I still miss him.
We always say that Tim is at the happy hunting-grounds now, having the time of his life. I’m sure he’ll give Abby a warm welcome and show her all the best spots.

I’m sorry for your loss,
and a dog is a familymember.
You love them so much.
Remember the good times
ans I’m also sure she had a good life.

{{{{Duke}}}}}

I’m so sorry for your loss. I still miss pets that died years ago. It took weeks to stop expecting them to meet me at the door when I came in and to stop wanting to fill the food and water bowels. My dogs are my family and I probably put up with a lot more crap from them than I would any of my siblings, my kids or even my hubby. There’s nothing like unconditional love that will make will make you overlook a lot of things. :slight_smile:

Aww, Duke I’m so so sorry. Abby was a member of your family, and it’s OK to miss her. You gave her a wonderful life, and she died a much loved dog. This is the greatest gift you could give her. She did the greatest thing a dog can do-she gave you & yours love and companionship.

I lost my Jake on January 11, and the pain has faded, though the memory won’t. Even Phoebe (the back-up dog :)) mourned him for days.

Hugs.

{{{{{Duke}}}}}

I’m sorry.

R.I.P., Abby. And Duke, while you will eventually get over it, you’ll never forget her. There is nothing in the world like a cherished pet.

Shit. Now I’m thinking about my own dog who died, and I’m gonna cry.

What a wonderfull tribute to a great companion. I know that she will be waiting for you and your family at the Rainbow Bridge…it sounds like she had a happy and full life being a family member.

Dave and Clancy (6 year old beagle)

My sympathy to you. One thing we can almost be sure of when we get a pet, that we will usually outlive it. That is the sad bargain we make in return for the love and joy they bring.

Duke, your last sentence says it all. Unconditional love is something incredible, and a sad commentary on the human condition that the ones we trust to give it the most, without ulterior motive, agenda, or strings attached are our pets.

I empathize with you wholeheartedly, knowing what it is like to lose a dearly loved pet. I still mourn my grey tabby, Jason who had been my buddy for 14 years; I lost him in May of '97.
Your post struck a cord, as we too have Abby, who is 12. She is a Golden Retriever, and Mrs. Blue will be devastated when she passes. She is white faced clear to the eyebrows now, and moves a little slower in the winter of her life. As Spidey said, it’s the bittersweet price we pay for all that love and companionship.

{{{{{{{Duke & Abby}}}}}}}}}

I am so sorry, Duke-

My mom always referred to my Tasha, Ginji and Kobii as her “grandcats”. So when I lost the two older ones four months apart, between the deaths of my beloved mom and brother, I felt that I had lost four family members instead of two.

The worst year of my life.

I like to think that your baby is in heaven, and that my brother (who preferred dogs) is taking Abby for walks and throwing sticks for her while my Tasha and Ginji sit on my mom’s lap and purr.

It comforts me to think this, and I hope it comforts you as well.

(((((((Duke)))))))

Scotti