My dog got out and hasn't come home...

Oh my, I would be losing my mind if I were in your position. We’ve had a few dogs go missing, but never longer than a few hours.

Here’s hoping she’s curled up safe and sound at the shelter.

Another shout-out for microchipping. We keep pretty close tabs on our jokers, but I sleep a bit better knowing they’re chipped, just in case.

So sorry you’re going through this, Mrs Johnson! I know how agonizing it is to lose a pet.

Here’s a few tips I picked up when we were searching for our lost cat:

Posters are very, very important, but you have to do them right. The best way is to get those large posterboards (available at Wal-Mart) in the neon-bright colors. Cut those in half, so you get two signs per poster.

Then, you need a picture of your dog, preferably from a side angle (makes it easier to see any distinct markings on the coat.) The picture should take up a whole 8 1/2 by 11" paper, with a white border around. Tape/glue this to the posterboard.

Then, in huge black letters put the words “Lost” “Reward” and your phone number. Don’t specify the amount of the reward, you don’t want to discourage people who think it’s too low, and if people think it might be huge, maybe they’ll keep more of an eye out.

In smaller letters, make some kind of emotional plea like “Can’t sleep, can’t eat, please help!” This makes people remember your poster, and of course, makes them want to help.

There’s also a trick on how to hang the posters, depending on what kind of area you live in. If people are going to be driving by your posters, they’re not going to have time to take in all the info in one go. So post three in succession, like on telephone poles or whatever. First one to catch their eye, second one to give them the gist, third one to cement the info in their heads.

Also put them up on stop signs and intersections. You want people to have time to really absorb the info in the poster.

If you live in/near an apartment complex, put them up near the mailboxes. Everyone has to check their mail.

I’ll post more if I can remember anything else. I hope this helps you find Princess soon!

I’m waiting impatiently for 10:00 (15 more minutes) to call when the shelter opens. I’m also going to stop by the shelter after work (just in case her collar fell off). C’mon 10:00 o’clock!

Advice from a former shelter worker - don’t just call; go by the shelter and by animal control. Sometimes the person who answers the phone may not have the most up-to-date information about animals that have been recently brought in. If her collar has come off they may not have identified her as “owned” but think she has been abandoned.

Looking personally may improve your chances of finding her.

You and Princess are in my thoughts. I hope you find her.

I do hope you find Princess. My thoughts are with you.

Like my above post says, call more than the shelters.They aren’t the only places lost dogs may be brought. The sheriff & animal control were actually my best bet since my town doesn’t even have a shelter. Try every avenue you can think of! If you visit the shelter and still cannot find her, call, call, call! Vets, the sheriff, animal control, local vets - someone has to have heard something. The shelters are useful only if your dog is brought in. I called neighboring counties/cities/municipalities, too. Dogs can go farther than you’d think.

Alert your local veterinarians. Some people will turn in a lost animal to the vet rather than to animal control.

My mom and I went to the shelter after work - no luck. It’s sad to see how many dogs were there.
I’m going to put out more fliers and continue doing what I can.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you. Our Penny-dog scared the ever-livin’ daylights out of us a few weeks ago and gave us the one of the worst nights of our lives. (While she lived it up with 2 new Lab friends)

Here’s hoping a kind soul has found Princess and is looking for you, too.

I’m sending you good vibes- I really hope you are reunited soon!

I put out 100 more fliers tonight (so that’s 130 total) - further down the street, near the gas stations, Walmart, and other high-traffic places. Someone must have seen her…

I may have helped a craigslist person find his lost Jack Russell Terrier (same breed as Princess)… I alerted him that there was one at the shelter that looked like a JRT/Beagle mix - which is what he described and exactly what I thought when I saw one adorable dog at the shelter. I hope he gets his dog back too.

She’s dead…

Princess was hit just a few blocks away today on one of the main roads. 6 days of survival and she got hit by a car. She had a good, long life. I just wish it didn’t end this way.
My boss (family friend since I was a baby) saw her on the median and brought her home to me. She probably wasn’t even been dead for an hour when he brought her. She wasn’t totally stiff. He put her in our big freezer until later tonight when we can bury her.
My little doggy that I’ve had since I was 10 years old… is gone.
I’m so lost and so sad. :frowning:

Pics:
Princess
The monster under my bed.
Princess & Me

I am so terribly sorry.

{{{{Mrs Johnson}}}}

{{{{Princess}}}}

That sure wasn’t the ending I was hoping for. I’m very sorry, Mrs Johnson.

Oh, Mrs. Johnson, I am so terribly sorry. I hope that she was not in pain. May she rest in peace.

I’m so, so sorry for your loss.

Mrs. Johnson, I am so sorry for your loss. I know this is not what you want to think about right now but remember all those doggies at the shelter? Go there as soon as you can and rescue one of them. I understand you can’t replace Princess but there’s nothing as sad as an empty house, plus you can save a life. And thank you for letting us know what happened even though I know it hurt.

Thank you everyone.

It’s even harder knowing that a lady fed her Tuesday night but didn’t bother to call us (the number was on her tag) until she saw the flier this morning. And another person called a few minutes ago to say that they saw her last night at an apartment complex 6 blocks away. I put fliers there last night too.

I know I can’t change anything - but she was just so close to home last night… I feel awful.

i’m so very sorry.

I’m so sorry. You’ve got my number if you need to talk.