My dog has Glaucoma.

He was diagnosed this morning, but we’ve suspected it for several days. Atfirst we thought the redness was due to hay fever, but then the pupil stayed dialated and now the eye is larger than the other. He doesn’t seem to be completely blind in that eye, but he probably will be. :frowning:
The doctor put him on 2 kinds of eye drops, pain pills and steroids. If the swelling doesn’t go down, he’ll have to remove the eye.

That sucks a lot. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the swelling goes down!

Oh, I’m sorry. This same thing happened to my friend’s Basset hound. I guess they are susceptible to it. He had to have the eye removed, and drops put in the other eye for the rest of his life. The thing that really sucks is how fast it moves - in just a few days the affected eye is destroyed. :frowning:

“No, I swear officer, it’s for my dog’s glaucoma!”

I had no idea it affected dogs that quickly and badly. Poor pup!

It’s possible it wasn’t quick, unless Batsinma’s dog has a history of recent normal eye pressure readings. Even in humans there are very few symptoms of glaucoma aside from actually testing the eye’s pressure (done via the “puff of air” test or the “put numbing drops in the eye then tap the little pen-thing on the eye” test); one of my bosses calls it the “silent blinder.” That being said, it’s a strange thing to even think of dogs getting - I myself would think about the possibility of cataracts first and barely even suspect glaucoma.

My dog had glacoma too!!

and I had a ball of twine. :eek:

Keep thinking positive thoughts. Even if your dog does go blind, he could live a happy life. A friend of mine had a blind dog. He said the main thing he had to do was to never move the furniture. The dog navigated just fine by memory. You might have to make some other adjustments, but there’s no reason he can’t still be a happy, good pet.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you. I know how hard it is to have your dog go through medical procedures like this. I’ve wished that I could take the pain for them, because the poor things don’t understand why they’re hurting.

I know that ferrets also can do well when blind, due to smell and hearing, so I’m sure a one-eyed dog could lead a very happy and full life with you. Best of luck.

My first horse had glaucoma in one eye. She still managed very well, although she was a tad spooky when things came at her from that side. She had to hvae an ointment put in her eye every night, and even though she was much taller than me, I didn’t even have to halter her to do it. I hope your dog does as well.

StG

Our male German Shepherd (this was oh God 30 years now) developed a swollen
eye which turned blue, which the vet diagnosed as glaucoma, and out it went. No
more than 3 months later we found a pamphlet on how Shepherds can get something
called “blue eye” which goes away with adequate treament. Silly vet never kept on
top of his peer-reviewed journals… :mad:

Thanks for the encouragement and well wishes.

After 4 treatments with the eye drops today, there’s less redness and dialation.

Oh good!

I’ll continue with the crossed fingers for the trend.