My dog is dying.

I just helped a friend find someone that would perform in-home euthanasia, and it was not difficult. It was the best way for her to say goodbye to her pet.

I lost my boxer Ali-Girl about 5 years ago. I still think about her to this day. Their bodies may leave us, but the memories don’t. I wish you comfort.

I am so sorry for you and your family.

Just one thing – don’t feel ashamed or guilty for your pain and saddness. Society still tells us to “get over” pet loss ASAP and move on. And some pet owners will put their babies to sleep simply because they bought new furniture and don’t want it soiled or scratched.

Last year my cat, McKinley, almost died from liver failure – we were blessed with a miraculous recovery. But the grief and sheer pain was very real when we were going through it. My therapist told me that losing a pet is losing a member of the family and just like any beloved family member, it takes time – your own time – to grieve.

Go very easy on yourself. If your baby is not in pain, you have time to think through what you want to do. And don’t feel pressured to “buck up”

And your dog was and is a very lucky dog – he/she was and is loved a great deal.

Boscibo My sympathies, sincerely. I had to go through this not two years ago. My dog of 23 (yes, 23 years) Khasi, a shepherd husky mix, finally had to be put down. His last bit of fight came out when he was handed over to the vet. It’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done, and the most humane.

You and yours are in our prayers.

We’ve lost our beloved W.C. the Cat and Junior the Wonder Dog in the past year and are still grieving their loss :frowning:

This is the wife of furnishesq. Like he said, our cat almost died last year from a liver disease and I credit Sub-Q for bringing her back. Yes, it’s hard emotionally to do - I cried thinking I was doing it wrong and killing her - but in fact I was doing it right and it brought McKinley back from what our vet thought was going to be a sure death. And it didn’t seem to bother her - I agree with the previous poster - it was the forced feeding with meds she hated (and I have the scars to prove it - but very well worth it!) But now, a year later, you would never guess she had been sick and she still is a fighter! So you do what you feel is right - whether it is to use Sub-Q or not - and believe me, your heart doesn’t lie to you. Good luck with your decision because I know how difficult it is to make and know our thoughts are with you.

Just another Doper who knows how hard it is. My thoughts are with you.

Whistlepig

I’m so sorry, Boscibo. :frowning: What breed is Bandit?

He’s a Border Collie/lab mix mutt. We’re going to let him go Thursday or Friday. Despite the fluids, he’s still not eating.
:frowning:

Again, my heart truly goes out to you, as our pets’ fates continue to be seemingly intertwined: I let Smokey The Cat go earlier today. ( " :frowning: " does not come close to how I feel.) The vet removed her almost 1.5 hours ago. Never in a million years did I imagine I’d ever have to make this kind of an appointment: I always figured that Smokey would just die in her sleep one day/night, or would die while I was out of the house. It has been a surreal, horrible day, but in my calmer moments (like now) I know that I did what was best for the cat. She went downhill so quickly – in less than three weeks – and by the time the vet came today she couldn’t take more than 2 steps without having to sit down and catch her breath. The whole thing has just been heartbreaking.

I know that, in your calmer moments, you will also be able to take comfort in the knowledge that you’ve done what’s best for Bandit. Hang in there, and know that I – along with many other Dopers – will be thinking of you this week!

Our family has had dogs and cats since my earliest memory. Our thoughts are with you. Surprising how firmly attached we can become to our furry companions. Other posts have mentioned an at-home visit by a vet; I strongly recommend it. We’ve already decided this will be the way if our current 2 Labs (Mojo & Riley) don’t meet some other unfortunate end first (And I certainly hope they don’t!). This is a fairly common practice in VT; many vets will do it at no extra charge, and there is a real peace of mind benefit by saying goodbye in the comfort of familiar surroundings (for BOTH of you). It’s worth the extra payment if necessary. My fur-balls are both underfoot as I type; they send their best. Give Bandit a nuzzle from us all. S/F

Misnomer , I am so sorry for your loss. I know how you feel.

Bandit went to the Rainbow Bridge about 10:30 this morning. My SO was holding him and I was stroking his head and telling him how much I loved him as the injection was administered. I am in a lot of pain, I cannot believe it is real. And I was the strong one this AM, my SO is taking this very hard. I am too, but I felt a sense of peace after he passed. Bandit was a big part of my life for nearly 14 years, and I miss him so much already.
:frowning:

Boscibo - I’m sorry for your loss. I truly believe we’ll be reunited with our pets someday.

StG

I’m very sorry, Boscibo.

Boscibo, your SO is a stronger person than me: I don’t think I could have held Smokey while the vet gave her the injection. Like you, though, I stroked her head and told her I loved her and that it would be all over soon…at one point very near the end she pushed her head into my hand, and I swear that the cat knew what was about to happen and was telling me it was ok. (I haven’t told that part to anyone else yet…how odd, yet somehow ok, to mention it here.)

I expected the sadness and grief, etc., but did not anticipate the loneliness: I have never lived completely by myself, the cat has always been with me. I know it will just take time for the house to feel like ‘home’ again, but even now I’m putting off going to bed (it’s after midnight here) because that’s when I notice her absence the most. And, while I’ll probably stay in this house for another couple years, I’m glad it’s just a rental: part of me looks forward to being able to go to a place that has no memories of her. :frowning:

Thank you so much for offering me sympathy so soon after losing your own beloved pet! I continue to be impressed by the Dopers I come across, on many levels…

Oh, Misnomer, it is so sad.

For doing the right thing, why do I feel so terrible about it? The last thing Bandit saw was me, looking at him, telling him I loved him. I feel so awful.

The memories are so hard. All his foods, his diabetic supplies, his favorite sleeping places…

It is very hard to deal, but I am not alone. I have my SO, and our other animals. The waves of pain and despair are still coming in fast and furious.

I’d hate to see how upset you get when a person dies.

pool, the difference is that we had to take our pet in and do this. We had to make the decision to end his life. Big difference.

Well I am assuming you did it to end his suffering in the future so you should not beat yourself up over it. :smack:

Bobisco, you are sad because you can never really know if it was the right thing. Would Bandit has made the same choice? You can’t know.

That being said, our beloved pets are forced to trust us to make medical decisions for them. We make sure they get their shots and get treatment when needed. This is in your hands, and you can’t let them down at the end–they deserve your best decision. You can only do your best, and that is all they would expect.

Everyday, people see their pets get sick, and abandon them. I can barely think about it. But I want to show you what real selfishness is, so you can see that what you did was something caring. We should all be lucky enough to go out gently when it is time, with our most beloved being our last sight. And to leave behind such loving memories.

The one I miss the most is my ferret Blue. It has been years, but I am crying right now thinking about him. But having to make that final decision was nothing compared to all that I gained for having known him.

Hugs and sympathy. It is a rough time.

Boscibo, I know exactly what you mean: I felt so guilty after I made the appointment, and even the day afterwards I would sometimes catch myself wondering if she really needed to be put down. It’s ridiculous, because I absolutely know in my head that I did the right thing. Maybe it’s just the selfish part of me missing her so much?? Or maybe merrily is right.

(Pay no mind to pool, btw: people who say things like that in a thread like this are either trolls, or morons who don’t deserve to be dignified with a response. :rolleyes: )

I also know what you mean about seeing Bandit’s food, supplies, etc. :frowning: The day that Smokey died I threw away all of her medications; picked up the food bowls that were scattered around the house (in the hope that she would eat); put away the comforter I’d placed on the bedroom floor for her; and washed the couch blanket she loved to sit on. I had to change the sheets on my bed that day, too, because I don’t think I would have been able to sleep on sheets that still had her fur on them. It was hard enough sleeping without her.

I’ve collected the unopened cans of cat food, the electric water fountain, and the unopened bag of cat litter, and a co-worker of mine has graciously offered to donate them to a local Humane Society for me. I put all of that stuff in bags as soon as I could, because it’s just painful to see them. My mom has asked for her carrier and automatic feeder, because she plans to get kittens soon, so I’ve put them away in the guest room closet until the next time I see her. Yesterday and today, I vaccummed: it’s very, very weird to know that this is the last time I’ll have to vaccuum up tufts of fur, or tracked bits of litter. :frowning:

I have a small memorial of sorts in the living room: I have my favorite picture of her, with her name and dates underneath, in an 8x10 frame. And the sympathy cards from my co-workers and the vet are on the mantel.

You’re exactly right: it’s all so sad…