My ear just "went out"...

While reading the “Drink urine” post (hmmm) my left ear suddenly went out. By out I mean the hearing in that ear stopped. The ambient room noise was replaced with a subtle tone. A test tone? Hmmm…

It was only gone for 10 seconds and is now back to normal.

Any ideas? Surly I’m not the only one who has ever had this happen.

Happens to me all the time.

Just a WAG, but I’m guessing it has something to do with a build-up of fluid. Maybe the canal fills up with fluid to the point where it comes into contact with the ear drum, momentarily knocking the drum out of comission. Then some mechanism kicks in whereby the fluid drains back out (where does it go?) and everything goes back to normal in a few seconds.

Or it could be that LOJACK chip in my brain acting up. g

DON’T CALL ME SURLY!

Temporary wax blockage? Did you try yawning and grimacing and it seemed to improve? If so you loosened the wax. One of my more pleasant inheritances is a tendency to wax blockage. Total deafness in one ear except for internal noises( eeeeeee, hissss ,rustle etc.) Easy for medics to clear up, HOT water squirted in under pressure.( Haven’t read drink urine,but a folk remedy for ear aches ear probs in general is… Fresh warm urine in the ear.)BUT could be signs of blood pressure probs, nerve damage (been running a jack hammer?) also temporarily caused by caffiene, aspirin, alcohol. If it gets worse,more frequent or for longer time have some body look into it. Somebody that knows what they are doing, don’t ask your mechanic to look in your ear,he’ll tell you it’s gotta be rebuilt take a week and parts gotta be ordered.

“Pardon me while I have a strange interlude.”-Marx

Happens to me occasionally, too. I just figgered it was one of those things, like eye “floaters”.

The odds that the bread will fall butter side down are directly proportional to the cost of the carpet.

Most people have very gross ear wax as if they never cleaned it until they have to.

What?
I can’t hear you.
Could you speek up?

STAY STRONG

I suffer from chronic ear infections due to the constant build-up of fluid on my ear drum. My left ear “goes out”, as you and I both say, at least once or twice a week. When this happens, try shaking your head or putting it down between your knees. That oughtta clear the fluid.

And yes, most people’s lack of proper ear maintenance is horrendous. I just want to grab a Q-Tip and go to work on them…

The Sydney “A” flu that’s terrorizing Western Canada has as one of its symptoms fluid buildup in the ear. The “B” strain, also running rampant over the prairie, is more gastrointestinal.

At least that’s what the ER nurse said. :frowning:

“And yes, most people’s lack of proper ear maintenance is horrendous. I just want to grab a Q-Tip and go to work on them…”

Now hold on. I think I may be one of those people. I can honestly say I have never used a Q-tip in my life. I perform no regular ear rituals. sticking finger in ear I find no ear wax or other nasty stuff. I have never had a problem with my ears clogging up with anything. Am I just lucky?

Delta 9 wrote: Happens to me occasionally, too. I just figgered it was one of those things, like eye “floaters”.

I once asked an eye doctor what floaters were. He said they were dust particles that have accually entered the eye. I was sorry I had asked.

JohnP

I asked my eye doc and was told that floaters are debris and material that has sloughed off the inner lining of the eye and is floating around in the vitreous fluid (aqueous? I always get those two mixed up). This is normal, just like shedding skin flakes or any other lining cells of the body. It’s just that we can see these because they’re so, you know, CLOSE to our eyes! They do increase in times of stress, I was told, and can also be correlated with a tendency of the retina to detach, especially if you’re very nearsighted.

As for your hearing kicking out, a lot of us with government brain-chip implants get that from time to time. It’s usually a sign that the secret world-government cabbalah has turned on your transmitter and is monitoring your thought waves. Just relax and have a good time with it.

By the way, those sexual fantasies of yours are really sick. You should be ashamed.

Q-Tips aren’t required for aural hygiene. (In fact if you read the box you aren’t even supposed to put them in your ears, although I can’t imagine they really believe they sell millions of those things for keeping the inside of your elbows clean.) Warm water will effectively remove earwax – maybe not as thoroughly as a cotton swab, but certainly enough to avoid embarassing or disgusting your friends and neighbors. Just stick your ear under the showerhead after you rinse out the shampoo.

“If ignorance were corn flakes, you’d be General Mills.”
Cecil Adams
The Straight Dope

I use the shower massage on jet to clean out my ears… anyone else do this? I am afeared that one day I will pop an eardrum by doing it wrong… but its more addicting then crack I am sure!

I think it’s genetics – hard ear wax vs. runny ear wax.

What I remember from Anthro in college is that there are certain things that are genetically determined, for example, the “Ability-to-curl-the-tongue” vs. “the inability-to-curl-the-tongue”.

One of these genetically-determined traits was “soft ear wax” vs. “hard ear wax”.

Does anyone else remember this argument?

Personally, I must clean my (soft-wax) ears constantly. Or it itches.

One of these genetically-determined traits was “soft ear wax” vs. “hard ear wax”.
Does anyone else remember this argument?

I just finished reading this - straight Mendelian traits…
Ear lobe connected or not
Tongue curling or not
Ability to smell a certain chemical or not
Ear wax something or not
An extra ear bump/fold or not

Might be one or two more.

Oh, I’m gonna keep using these #%@&* codes 'til I get 'em right.