My family: Rare, square, or unaware?

I have a certain rarity value, I feel, in that my parents were married for more than a year before their first child was born, and they remain married to this day (Happy 40th, Mom-n-Dad!). No divorce, no remarriage, no unwed pregnancies, no stepparents, none of the entanglements that seem to complicate the family relationships of my peers.

Who else has an original nuclear family? I can’t be the only one, or Ripley’s would be calling.

Both my husband and I do.
My parents were married in '70 and I was born two years later. They’re still married, alive and enjoying retirement.
I’m not sure how long my in-laws were married before they started a family, but at least a little while because they had difficulty conceiving. They’re also still married, alive and enjoying retirement.

My parents have been married for almost 50 years. I’ve been married for 20. My brother is divorced, though.

I know a family where the parents have been married for over 50 years and 6 of their 7 children have been married for at least 10 years to their original spouses, none of whom were married before. The 7th daughter has not married at all yet, partly due to her busy career as a surgeon. Maybe they should be in Ripley’s.

I’ve got one too! My parents have only been married 29 years or so, but they were married to each other when they had us (me and my sisters) and they’re still married.

Yeah, sometimes I feel weird, but mostly I just feel lucky.

Not even close. Parents divorced; grandparents divorced; sister divorced; aunts and uncles divorced.

Me, I just eliminated the middleman and never got married to begin with.

My parents were married in '77, my older brother was born in '79, and they just celebrated their… 26th? anniversary. I’m putting big money on my brother and his wife to be the first divorice in our family’s history, though. They’re certainly dysfunctional :rolleyes:

Now my husband’s side of the family, on the other hand, requires a program and diagrams, just to get back to his grandparents. He has halves and steps and long-losts everywhere from Maine to Australia.

All I have to say to the OP is, “Mine too.” Which makes for a pretty boring post; sorry. But you don’t hear enough about the boringly stable families.

I do.

My parents just celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary. (As I was born nine months and two weeks after the wedding, they weren’t married more than a year before kids… but still, the timing is such that I’m more likely the result of the wedding rather than the cause of it.)

Not only that, but my grandmother (mom’s mother, and the rest of her family, for that matter) really loves my dad (and when his mom was alive, she liked my mother) so I didn’t grow up with any of the horrid in-law problems I’ve heard about with other families.

I feel very lucky to have that environment. I hope that if I get married and have kids, they can say the same thing too someday.

Mine are. I think they married in '67 or '68, my older brother came along about 10 months later, 2 years later there was my other older brother, 2 years later there was me, and 8 years after that my younger brother.

My parents were married in '75, I was born in '78, and they’re still going strong.

My maternal grandparents have been married for over 50 years, and each of my mother’s three sisters have been married for 20+ years, no divorces. The only exception is my mom’s brother, who is living with his much younger girlfriend (as in, I’m older than she is) and their two kids, with a third on the way, plus my uncle has a fairly serious criminal record.

On my father’s side, my grandparents were together until my grandmother died. My dad’s an only child, so I don’t have any aunts or uncles on that side, but all of his cousins that we’re in touch with are divorced, on second marriages, etc.

Mine too, my parents married at 21, and stayed together until my Dad died at 64.

I’m not 100% sure they should have, though. Boring and stable isn’t quite it - some violence and mental illness involved.

Well, my older sister was born less than a year after my parents married, but my parents remained married until my dad’s death. Seemed pretty happy, for the most part. I never worried that they’d split up. I think they both knew that no one else would put up with them, so they’d better stick it out. :wink:

I would fit the description except that my dad died when I was in my early 20s.

My inlaws fit the description too except that divorcing might have been a wiser option.

Not only my parents, but my grandparents, too. And my geneology research so far would suggest similar stability was the rule for my family for many generations. My parents got married in 1963 and I was born in 1965. They are still very happily married and we celebrated their 40th this year. My wife and I have been married 15 years now and didn’t have our first kid until we were married for 10 years. Nothing boring about it all though, life has been pretty good so far.

Now my wife’s family is another story. There’s not a “normal” character in her entire family tree. Most didn’t even get married and the rest shouldn’t have. :slight_smile:

Jammer

I do too. My folks married in 1956 and stayed that way until death did they part in 1999. My wife and I have been married for 9 years and have two kids… hopefully our kids will say the same thing decades from now as well. (I was married and widowed before, but my kids don’t know it.) Even more old-fashioned: my wife stays at home with the kids (although we met at work). This is considered a luxury nowadays, which is a sad state of affairs.

Although my mother was pregnant when they got married, the pregnancy wasn’t the reason for it. They lost that child, and that didn’t break them up. They dealt with my dad’s alcoholism, and that didn’t break them up. They have been together for 30 years, and have 3 healthy children, though none of us are married yet. I hope to be like them.

Though actually, it is their second marriage. To each other. They got married in a Protestant church because they didn’t want to wait the year the Catholic church wanted them to, and then they just renewed their vows in a Catholic church and were officially wedded there later on:) They celebrate the day of their first wedding, though. They are going on a cruise this year, and they have commented about renewing their vows again on the boat!

This may well be true. But I do a great deal of genealogy research myself, and my experience has been that a lot of this stuff was hushed up in “the olden days”. I’m old enough to remember when being divorced was still considered somewhat scandalous.

My parents just celebrated their 20th. I was part of their vow renewal ceremony. My brother and I were born 2 years after they got married. Yaaaay my parents.

My in-laws will be married 55 years next month. My own parents were only married for almost 42 years before my dad died, but he had been married for 17 years the first time. He was a widower when he met my mother. Of the seven children, I am the only one who divorced, and even I have been married this time for 22 years. Considering that the first of my siblings married in 1955, I’d say that’s not too bad. Every one of my nieces and nephews who are married are still with their original spouse, and the longest of those marriages is 22 years. I guess we’re just wired that way.