My father died last Tuesday

My sympathy to you and your family. It is really shocking to lose a loved one so suddenly. My father died when he was 49.

As for advice from well-meaning people, try to just smile and ignore it. My first husband died age 38, and I remember how helpful people want to be. Just keep in mind that nothing is that urgent that it has to be done today, and don’t make any other important changes in your life, if possible, in the coming year.

Take care of yourself, and your Mom.

Our thoughts are with you.

I am so truly sorry to hear this news.

His boss should great class by shutting down the place.

I hope that you take good care of yourself and do what you can to break the heart disease streak that is so strong in your family.

51 is so young.

Thank you all for your replies.

I had a physical scheduled before all of this happened; I’m definitely keeping that appointment.

The medical examiner, who is also a prominent local doctor, had offered to meet with my mother and me if we had any questions; I’m pretty sure she’s planning to take him up on that offer.

The influx of people has leveled out (especially since I told Mom that it’s OK to screen phone calls during dinner). The only truly rude person we’ve encountered was at the clerk of courts office; the first woman we talked to took one look at the vehicles that were in Dad’s name and remarked, “Don’t you wish they wouldn’t leave you so much?” Fortunately, we didn’t have to deal with her very long. The banker and financial advisor have been excellent too; we’ve had no problems making changes to the accounts.

Mom seems to be doing OK.

Once again, thanks for all the kind words.

Just saw this and wanted to express my condolences.

Clerk of court needs to be taken out back and…well, let’s keep this civil.

Hope your physical goes well; take care of yourself.