My friend is moving 3000 miles to marry a guy on 8/22 she's been dating for 2 weeks.

I use to have a client that by the age of 30 was divorced twice and had a teenager that lived with her father.

She was a major computer nerd. (no offense to any nerds out there.)

Ends up meeting the love of her life on line. After a year or so, decides to chuck it all in and move from the midwest to San Francisco. I do all the travel arrangements.

After about 6 months, she cannot find a job that equals her old job and the love of her life turns out to be a great buddy, but not what she thought. I lost track of her after that.

I did this. It goes like this:

1. Started talking (online) November 2nd
  2. Met in person December 30th
  3. I moved to another continent to be with him March 4th
  4. We married July 3rd

It may seem like pretty spread out to you, but we only spent 3 days together in person before I moved out here, and once I moved here we were basically married, just not legally. Since I’m raising his kids, there is no difference in my mind.

Can it work out? Variable. Mine currently isn’t working so well but it’s due to more than adjusting to him: adjusting to Japan, children (I have none of my own), and the military is hardly an easy task. If your friend only has to be concerned about the relationship and a new state, it may be an easier adjustment. Good luck to her.

Bluesman and I have a very good friend that did this. Met a woman, married her after two weeks, and moved her from Texas to Maryland. About six months later, he discovered airline tickets in her bedside drawer. She was going to leave after Christmas without so much as a goodbye.

Now, this particular guy is not very talented in the marriage field (this was number three), and attracts disatrous situations like sugar attracts ants, so he may not be typical, but the fact is that not all whirlwind courtships end up being success stories.

2 of my friends have done this and both are happily married.

The first one met via a dating service and corresponded for about a year. I asked her to be my bridesmaid, and she invited him to come the week of my wedding so they could meet. Reheasal was Friday, and they show up already married.

I swear she did it just so she could say she got married before I did. But they’ve been married for 9 years, have 3 kids, and have a much stronger marriage than many I’ve seen.