My fucking temp agency....

This is a long story, but the long and short of it is that while I was looking for a job, my temp agency here asked if they could loan me out to another office north of us. Me, being desperate for a job, agreed. The other agency got me a position immediately - in this nice company. I was told that it was probably just temp, could be temp-to-perm, but they would be recruiting for my position. My home agency told me that they were still setting up interviews for me, which I was perfectly entitled to go on - they’d sent my resume out to three places who wanted to see me.

So, I ended up going on interviews with a company about five minutes from home for a report writer in Excel and SQL. I was excited about the position because the benefits are awesome, and it’s so close to home. I was being considered for a permanent position at my current job, but the company is in a bit of turmoil at the moment and I’m not sure I’m comfortable staying here.

Wednesday afternoon, the home agency called to offer me to job near home. I immediately took it. I don’t start until next Tuesday. The home agency said they would call my current agency and have them call my supervisor. That was Thursday morning.

As of this morning, Monday morning, they had not called him here - even though they’ve known since THURSDAY MORNING. This position is not difficult, but there’s a report that will take several days for a new person to learn. I’d assumed someone would want to get in here to learn it. I assumed the agency would have called ASAP to fill the position again.

I told two people here, basically because I assumed the agency would be calling very soon, and because I know there are things that will need to be taken care of before I leave. Somehow it got out to everyone. Our CFO found out this morning and told our HR manager.

So now I’m waiting for the temp agency to call again. I’m pissed beyond belief. This is making ME look incredibly bad in this company’s eyes, although the CFO has assured me that no one is upset with me. The temp agency will probably be pissed at me for letting it get out, but I figured it wouldn’t take them THREE FUCKING DAYS to tell them! And I’m sorry, but I don’t want to leave them in a bind, so I knew there were things we should have started thinking about.

I’m just hoping this doesn’t hurt me with the home agency and my new position. I don’t know if it will, but I hope not - I’ve already accepted the position with the new company. And I plan to stay here until the very last second to make sure someone is comfortable with the job. I’m upset because my supervisor found out that way, which I do take partial responsibility for, but THE FUCKING AGENCY should have called him last week!

Ava

I’m sorry to hear of your troubles, ava. I share your irritation with these evil agencies that profess to ‘help’ us.

Remember that sage bit of wisdom from the last thread on the topic:

Fuck temping.

You did the right thing; agency first, then the client company. That’s what you do.

Yeah, it’s just a pissy thing. My supervisor still hasn’t heard from the agency apparently, or he hasn’t said anything to me. When I told them THREE days ago, I assumed it would be all right to start making alternate plans by Friday afternoon so that my replacement will have an easier time of it. Apparently not.

Cowgirl, aside from this experience, I actually LIKE temping sometimes:). Right now, I’m glad I’m going into this other place on a temp-to-perm basis (what they basically told me is that they don’t spend weeks interviewing and training NOT to bring someone on permanently).

Ava

What I want to know is how you got a plum gig like being a report writer in Excel and SQL. I’ve been stuck in a goddam receptionist job foir the last 7 months when my background is in corporate communications, editing, and training. My agency says that they are looking for another placement for me, but I have the horrible feeling I’ll be stuck temping in this job for the next 25 years.

Who do I have to blow to find a better paying/ more fulfilling job?

I’ve been stuck in the goddamn receptionist and administrative assistant positions for about four years. I honestly expected to go back to one of those positions when I got here (and have for a month), but this one just dropped out of the blue.

My recommendation is to register with as many agencies as you can. Tell them exactly what you’re looking for and that you can’t accept anything less.

I hated being stuck in a crappy job. I’m hoping this will work for me with school eventually, too.

Ava

Wow, soap opera drama for the last few days. Lovely. I knew there was a reason why I hated temp agencies. I don’t like temping at all, I hate the uncertainty of everything and wondering when the assignment will end and if I’ll have another assignment afterwards.

I’m a worrywart - temp agencies are my worst nightmare. :wink:

And it seems you’re sitting on a nightmare. What a bunch of idiots!

I had to browse back into the board, my dear Avabeth since all your email accounts are now bouncing. :stuck_out_tongue: