My heartfelt thanks to CrazyCatLady!

CrazyCatLady, I want to take a moment to say thanks.

My kitty has not been well lately. She had some oral surgery last Wednesday, and we also just found out she has early stage kidney disease (which fortunately, the vet thinks will be manageable).

Poor little thing decided two days ago that she didn’t want to eat (not even tuna!). The whole Karen Carpenter act has me very worried.

Luckily, I had read this thread in which you suggested trying baby food. It’s working like a charm :slight_smile:

Just thought you might want to know that one of your posts really helped someone… a lot! Thank you!

Glad to hear it worked, but I just thought I’d pass on this one caution about giving pets baby food: Check the ingredients and make sure there isn’t any onion in it. I remember hearing that sometimes onion powder is added to baby food to make it more palatable, but onions can be toxic to cats and dogs.

Thanks , lavenderviolet. I have never heard of onion being toxic to pets, but it can’t hurt to be cautious.

Just checked the ingredients, to make sure: ground chicken (bleah!), water, cornstarch. Nothin’ else.

My kitty’s a Gerber Baby. Probably won’t see that one in an ad campaign anytime soon :wink:

I think she’s still adjusting to having some teeth pulled…doesn’t seem to be hurting, but still figuring out how to eat now that things have changed. That, and the whole drama of vet trips and me dosing her with antibiotics twice a day.

Glad to hear I was able to help! Depending on how much they did to her mouth, she may need soft food for a while. As she heals, you can try mixing a bit of boiled chicken or canned cat food in with the baby food, then ease her onto some dry cat food. (At least part of her normal diet should be dry kibble to help keep her teeth from getting so ooky in the future.)

She’s always gotten both wet and dry food, but it didn’t seem to help in this case. She’s 12ish (I’m her second owner, so I’m not really sure exactly how old she is).

She had some sort of lesions that the vet says cats get which causes the teeth to grow abnormally. Recently she started having some real problems with her mouth, and they had to pull quite a few teeth.

Funny thing is, for the first three or four days after they worked on her, she ate like a horse. The past two, she wouldn’t touch a thing. The baby food got her interested again. She’s eaten some tuna and some chicken since. But I wouldn’t have known to give her baby food if I hadn’t seen the thread.

Again, thank you!