My husband is having surgery

Best of luck with the surgery. I’m sending good vibes your way.

I’m very sorry to hear that RickQ isn’t doing well. My best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

{{{** Brynda ** & RickQ }}} I know you both must be a bit nervous/scared. As a mother of a son with hydrocephalus I want to reassure you that shunt revisions are very common operations. We just went through two back-to-back revisions about a month ago. Rick’s situation sounds similar to my Alex’s in that he doesn’t have any of the associated cognitive problems and has had relatively little problem with his shunt.

We will be thinking about you both and please keep us updated. Also, if I can provide any info or support, please don’t hesitate to email me.

My best to both of you. I am glad to hear things went well; I hope they continue to do so.

Thanks, everybody. Dopers are the best. I took the thread to Rick today and he really appreciated all the good wishes.

They postponed his surgery today because they believe he really needs both ends of the shunt attended to and that requires two sets of surgeons. Unfortunately, they couldn’t schedule that today, so he is on the boards for tomorrow. In the meantime, though, they let him eat, so he is happy. :slight_smile:

We ended up spending most of the day chatting and playing Trival Pursuit–and seeing how worried I was about him, Rick even let me win.

Keep him in your thoughts tomorrow and expect to see him on the board a lot in the next few weeks as he recuperates. I am sure as soon as he can sit at the computer, he will be here.

Brynda, I hope everything goes well for you and Rick.

F_X

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Rick. You are two very lucky people to have partners such as each other!

I’ll certainly keep him in my thoughts and hope that all goes well.

GREAT NEWS!!!

Rick is out of surgery and everything seems to have gone well. The chief neurosurgeon said that once they fixed the abdominal end of things, the valve appeared to be working much better than they thought, so they were able to omit that part of the surgery.

Hurray!!!

Thanks for all the good thoughts and support. We both appreciate it very much.

Thank heavens! :slight_smile:

Glad things went well, Brynda. Tell Rick to hurry up getting better and start posting again.

How wonderful, Brynda! Glad to know Rick came through just fine and thanks for letting us know.

Now let your nerves relax, get some sleep, regroup and then kick his butt for real at Trivial Pursuit. ::grins::

Veb

That’s fantastic news, Brynda!

:slight_smile:

How splendid, Brynda! Great news.

I want to second what Brynda said and thank you all for your kind words and support.

I am back home (I arrived home yesterday evening) and I am feeling pretty good. A little sore, but that is to be expected.

I’m sure you will be seeing more of me around the boards over the next couple of weeks.

Rick

Oh for god’s sakes. The cheeky limey comes over here and takes one of our top-quality American women. He snatches up a high-tech American job. He watches all our numerous television channels. And now he decides he wants to sample our non-socialized medicine? Greedy Brits! They haven’t changed a BIT since the days of taxation on tea!

No, joking aside, I am so glad the surgery went okay and was glad to see this thread, even if it was too late to send good vibes when they were most needed.