Sorry if this isn’t the best written post. I’m really at a loss of words tonight.
Our baby boy is due in mid October, and we just found out that he has Hydrocephalus, an excess of fluid in the brain.
At this stage, the doctor won’t spectulate on the extent of the problem or what else that means. My wife is scheduled to go into the hospital in two weeks for several days of extensive testing. Often when babies have one problem, they can have others, so our doctor wants other specialist to looks at the tiny lungs and other organs as well.
Looking on the Internet, the problem can range from fixable to catrastrophic.
We were going to fly over to the States for a two-week vacation and so my family could meet my wife, but we’ve had to cancel the trip.
We’ve really been looking forward to the birth of our first child. We’re still looking forward, but there’s other emotions mixed up as well.
My wife is holding up really well. She was concerned that I would pull back. I had always thought that it would be really hard to have a handicaped child, but now looking at the real possibiliy of having serious problems, I have a different view. You don’t love someone less, and we’ll do the best we can.
It’s really too early to speculate. We’ll know more in a couple of weeks. Until then, we’ll just work at keeping going on as normal as we can.