My Memories Have Just Been Sold! (Magna Carta)

Well, okay, I’m getting a little ahead of myself.

First off, the auction isn’t going to be until December - so nothing’s been sold, yet.

And I really can’t claim that the Perot Foundation can’t choose to do with it’s property what it wants.

But it’s still a shock to realize that one of the 17 original copies of the Magna Carta is about to go up for sale again.

Nothing more to say, just looking on in awe, thinking of just how important the principles in that document are.

I don’t see how this counts as an “original” if it dates from 1297.

Magna Carta was issued in 1215, and there are only four original copies, all in England (and none are for sale).

My guess is, “original copy” is to taken litteraly, meaning a first-hand copy. Someone made it with the original in front of him.

When dealing with medieval written documents, that’s still pretty special.

Did she die in vain?

Damn J. Geils.

It’s okay I understand
This ain’t no never-never land
I hope that when this issue’s gone
I’ll see you when your protective glass is on

It all depends on how you define “issued”. It didn’t have a singular issuance; indeed, when it was issued in 1215 it remained law for only a matter of months. It was royally reissued numerous times during the 13th century, by John’s son Henry III and grandson Edward I, the latter in 1297. That was the last time it was reissued. In fact, as an English statute law, it’s formally the Magna Carta 1297, as that is when it was confirmed by Parliament.

Well, Shagnasty seems to have been prescient. While the Magna Carta has been sold , it is also going to be going right back to the National Archives.

I wish that there had been the money available for the National Archives to acquire the document themselves, but I understand that there are other issues facing the Fed at the moment.

So, I’m glad that the document will be going back to DC and back onto display.

Awww, cheers for David Rubenstein. toasts him