My mind is blown -- Chaim Topol was only 36 when he played Tevye in the '71 Fiddler

Wow. He looked almost 60. And he’s still around, and only 80.

Marlon Brando was 48 when he played Vito Corleone in The Godfather. Abe Vigoda (Sal Tessio) was 51. Richard Castellano (Pete Clemenza) was 39.

To put it in perspective, they were all younger than Johnny Depp.

He also couldn’t speak English at the time, and had to learn his lines phonetically.

My favorite trivia is that they snipped hairs out of the director’s beard and glued them into Topol’s eyebrows to make him look older. :slight_smile:

Want your mind really blown? Rosalind Harris, who played the oldest daughter in the movie, played Golde to Topol’s Tevye on Broadway in 1991.

As long as we’re trading FotR film trivia: director Norman Jewison: not Jewish!

He was only 30 when he first played the role on stage. He was still touring as Tevye until he was 75’ when an injury forced his retirement. He was replaced in some shows after his withdrawal by Theidore Bikel, who played the role of Tevye more than any other actor and by then was in his late 80s; Bikel got rave reviews.

Better known to the general public (or at least those who have any knowledge of theater history) as the original Captain von Trapp in The Sound of Music.

In the original Manchurian Candidate, Angela Lansbury plays the mother of Laurence Harvey even though she is only 3 years old than he is IRL.

It’s no shame being 36, but it’s no great honor either.

Wilfred Brambell was 52 when he played Paul’s Grandfather in A Hard Day’s Night.

Louis Marshall “Grandpa” Jones created the banjo playing Grandpa character before he was thirty. He even changed his style of banjo playing to fit his new backwards character. Grandpa Jones was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1978. He played that character throughout the rest of his life.

I suspect that the moral of the story is that it’s good to grow up away from the effects of second (or first) hand smoke.