My Mom is being published in Newsweek!

Would you like me to snailmail you the original? If so, email me–my email address is in my profile.

Here is the weird responce,

I know that there is nothing specific about it, but its just a little odd, wanting a physical address rather than email. Mom feels creeped out, I don’t know that she realized how much info there is to find out about herself. Being tracked down at her school is a little creepy.

Sunspace - now, you know how peaceful and laid back us Canadians are - we’ll all go! I’ll buy the first round, you can buy the second!

A few times when I’ve written to a local paper or magazine or appeared on the news as an expert (sic) on gay issues, I’ve received very creepy letters, usually telling me how I’ll burn in hell and enclosing copies of pages of religious glurge that doesn’t seem especially relevant. I’d encourage your mom not to reply.

I had my home address redacted from some online records for this reason.

Snailmail copy sent (yesterday, actually).

Sounds good. But remember that I am a Torontonian… between the drive-by shootings and the Crackberry addiction and rushing to the next meeting, I may not have ti–

Oh wow! VERY COOL!!! I’m also a Newsweek junkie…I’m hoping to be published in Newsweek one of these days!

Oh yes…those types of people seem to think that that sort of writing is grand high literature and oh so relavant!

I was reluctant to bump, but I think this is relevant: this week’s issue has the sampling of letters responding to the OP’s mom’s essay. There were four, and it was probably fairly representative of the letters they got: two were completely supportive (one whose son was dealing with the added difficulty of a mate from another country), one was generally supportive but disagreed with the OP’s decision to move, and one “marriage between two people of the same sex isn’t really marriage.”

Your mom is rad. That other mom is rad too. Yay for rad moms! We need more people like that.

More rad moms!

Jeeves, I’ve come up with a compromise. We’ll let you leave America with your squeeze, but only if the Canucks promise to send us alice_in_wonderland in exchange. :smiley: