My Nomination For An IgNobel

Password-Protected Bullets

Oh, yeah, that sound practical in a self-defense situation… :rolleyes:

I’ve heard about this from several places today, and I still don’t understand what advantages it has over a trigger lock.

“Awright, Place your hands on your heads and get down, now!”

"“Dammit! They’re shooting! What’s the password? BLUEBOY!”

“No, wait, dammit, that’s the password on my desk computer – JULY05”
“What? Didn’t I use my anniversaryas the password? That was July 5, right?”
“Was it PW4U? Is this thing case-sensitive?”

Snork. And I thought California’s (now tabled) plan for serializing every ammo cartridge was silly. We have a new entry in the contest now, I guess.

Agreed, a keypad would suck in a pinch. Why not just incorporate a retinal scanner into the barrel? -Take a quick look down it, and the firing pin moves into armed position.

:smack: my eye, MY EYE!!!

Hold up…

So, you program the password into your gun when you buy it, and then you program the password into the bullets when you buy them. Not when you’re getting ready to shot someone. In order to keep the gun primed, maybe once a week (or however often that pre-set period of time is) you re-enter the password.

Daniel

You raaaannnggg?

[Eddie Valiant] Dum-dums. [/Eddie Valiant]

Using biometrics (specifically a fingerprint) wouldn’t be terribly bad if, say, there was a mini-reader on the back of the gun. You would at least not need to worry that your kids would find the gun and accidentally shoot themselves.

Though this patent seems to be going past that (to make it so your kids couldn’t put the bullets in another gun and shoot themselves…) Personally it sounds like he is adding features just for the sake of getting his idea patented.

Let me know when this cockamammy idea actually works every single time you attempt to access it, in sufficient time that it can still be used for its intended purpose, when the ballistic performance is the same as today’s weapons… aaaaand when it can be produced at a price comparable with today’s prices, and then get back to me.

Until that day I roll my eyes and call shenanigans.

For what it’s worth, the IgNobels actually seek to promote improbable research, rather than simply mock it; while the nominees may be initially humourous, they are usually genuine and unconventionally valuable (my favourite is the study of the forces involved in dragging a sheep over various surfaces at different inclines). It’s not a Darwin award for scientists.

This, however, sounds pretty useless, even in the scenarios LHoD describes.

Well, sometimes - it’s not a rule or anything. One recent award I remember was for a study of coffee stains, which made the front cover of Science ferchissakes, so it didn’t really need more promotion. Another award from a few years ago was the Ignoble for Economics, which was awarded to the Enron accountants “for expanding accounting into the realm of imaginary numbers”.

Geez what a great idea. This is so much more practical than teaching gun safety, keeping firearms secure, etc. :rolleyes:

Airman Doors I too was wondering about the cost of password protected ammunition. Also, has there been much research into how secure the passwords might be? Maybe hackers will learn how to gain easy access to ammunition passwords thereby requiring even more rigorous data encryption algorithms which would further increase ammunition cost and probably decrease ammunition reliability.

My Pappy had an inexpensive, low tech solution for firearm safety - “It’s always loaded !!” … and it worked. :slight_smile:

It should go off if there is no match right?

Peek, BANG, thud.

There’s already a pretty effective method for assuring your kids don’t accidently shoot themselves, or their friends. It’s called a gun lock. In fact, the gun lock, and the obvious other methods available to prevent accidental shootings of children, have been so effective, that there are less than about a dozen fatal shootings of children by children each year in the United States.

Yeah, like I might never wanna use the bullets I buy in different guns. I, and millions of other gun owners I’m very sure, have multiple guns of the same caliber. Fer instance, I have four guns chambered for .22LR. And several 12ga shotguns. Hell, there’s a sport called Single Action Shooting (or cowboy) shooting which has as one of it’s primary rules, contestants must use two revlovers and a rifle chambered for the same cartridge at an event. These guns may be either actual period weapons, or reproductions. The Single Action Shooting Society has over 60,000 members in all fifty states.

Also, what are you gonna do about the many, many gun owners who reload millions of rounds at home every year?

There’s an even BETTER method for ensuring your kids don’t accidentally shoot themselves, or their friends.

It’s called ‘not buying a gun’.

Right. So don’t buy one. Nobody’s forcing you.

And of course, the best method for not avoiding an accidental shooting of your kids is to have no kids. :-p

Which I don’t. So I buy guns whenever and in whatever quantity I want.

What is the so called ‘point’ of password protecting the ammo. He says that you would need to enter the password to shoot the gun. OK. What fucking difference does it make if it matches the ammo or not? Wrong password, won’t shoot.

Stupidest idea I’ve heard of in a long, long time.

OK, so it’s either totally impractical (if you forget the weekly reset before you need the gun) or it totally fails to serve any useful purpose (if you did enter the weekly password reset, the gun can be accidentally or improperly used just as if this goofball invention had never been installed).

I’ll just sit here next to the phone, waiting for someone to call me for an ammo password reset.

“I’ve unlocked the account and your new temporary password is gloCk$357. You will be prompted to enter a new password when you put the round into the clip. Your new password will need to contain a mix of upper and lower case, at least one number and at least one punctuation mark.”

Ignobel or not, I’ll be staffing the helpdesk. :smiley:

Uncle Beer

Yes, but let’s make sure we add just a little bit more to that security.
Perhaps the key to the gun lock could be secured in a wall safe that required password entry, fingerprint identification, retinal scans, etc.