(My) old age and new music

And check out an amazing French-Canadian singer, Marie-Jo Therio. Awesome.

The older you get, the younger the musicians seem to get; putting you at further ends of the spectrum.

When I was 20-something, listening to some other 20-something sing about how society, or some woman done him wrong, seemed cool, because I could relate. Now, that a lot of these musicians are young enough to be my children, I don’t want to hear them blather about how the world, or some woman done them wrong.

Been there, done that, at least three times already. You ain’t telling me nothing I don’t already know kid.
That’s at least one aspect for me not liking new music, along with the other points mentioned up thread.
The irony here being, at 46, I appear to be the young one of this thread so far.

It’s not that I’m not trying. I’m a big fan of Deezer, and use that frequently. (Do you get that in the USA? It’s like Spotify, but with more tracks, better quality and a nicer interface.)

I read music magazines and articles in newspapers and try anything that sounds interesting - but without much success. I’ll listen to anything that isn’t typically top 40 and isn’t rap or house type stuff. I have always been a great believer in trying to stretch myself musically. There just doesn’t seem to be much that I find tests me. But music is still immensely popular, so, ergo, it must be me.

Titles can do it for me too. For example, back in the mists of time (2005) I read about a group that I had never heard of called M83 who had a track called ‘Lower Your Eyelids To Die With The Sun’. I knew I would love it - and I do; and most of the rest of their stuff.

I keep on thinking that there must be something out there for me.

I only recognize current popular songs after Scott Bradley does a Post-Modern Jukebox cover of it.

I have been entertaining myself greatly by listening to old versions of new music.