My parking ticket is in Commonwealth English!

Quite mundane, and quite pointless, but surprising nonetheless.

I got a parking ticket yesterday, and was surprised to see the word “offence”. My first thought was that the City of Los Angeles must be buying ticket forms from Canada. However, there’s nothing on it to suggest that it was printed there. Another explanation may be that the form is computer generated, and was programmed by people outside the U.S., which could be any country where English is commonly used in technical and business discourse, not least India.

Has anyone else in the U.S. noticed anything like this recently? Not that I mind, at least not until the tickets start to say “impeding the Crown’s highway” or something like that. :slight_smile:

So, as a Commonwealth Englishman it looks normal to me. I assume it should be ‘offense’ to you?

At last it seems as though we are starting to civilise the natives!

Now if we can just have our tea back…

Well, we certainly don’t want it. It’s a soggy, salty mess, and it’s over 200 years old. Help yourselves, if you really want to.

Let us know if one starts to show up for causing alarm to Her Majesty.

Either spelling is technically acceptable in the USA, but “offense” is preferred.

Be sure to pay for your offence by writing a cheque.

Heh. Now they know how we feel!

Anyway, you’d better pay up, or you could land in gaol.

Otherwise, you’ll go to gaol.

This is to pay you back for all the American spellings that are creeping in over here, especially on UK message boards. Thus we get program for (TV) programme, license instead of licence, curb instead of kerb etc. etc.

I have an ex-girlfriend, born & bred in Kentucky, who insists on writing “colour,” “offence,” “labour,” and so forth. Maybe she wrote it.

Naturally. Kentucky is a commonwealth. Virginia too, I believe.

If this catches on, those D-fence signs that people hold up at football games will be more literally correct.

I have already had this argument.

Sorry - wasn’t looking for an argument. Just a trying to make a pun.

Oh, I didn’t think you were trying to have an argument. I meant that this was the exact justification she’d give if she had points taken off on a paper for misspellings; she came from Kentucky, which was a commonwealth, and thus should use Commonweal spellings.

ETA: Massachusetts & Pennsylvania are also commonwealths. I think it has something to do with not voting for Nixon.

You discovered a parking penalty beneath your windscreen wiper? How dreadful. Will you employ a barrister?

Or, will your solicitor brief a barrister on your behalf?

Wow, I hope you dumped her.

-RE spellings are okay, like centre, in the USA, just as “center” is okay in Canada. Just not preferred. Also, some words, contrary to popular belief, hold the same spelling anywhere; the unit of measurement really should be spelled “metre” everywhere, while a device that measures something is a “meter” no matter what country you’re in.

“Colour” or “Vigour,” however, are always wrong in the USA. Interestingly, Canadian style manuals have in recent years been calling for the dumpung of the U, for two reasons:

1. It’s inconsistent with other tenses and forms (e.g. you don’t spell it colourful, you spell it colorful) and

2. It would prevent the common error of adding U’s in words that never had them, like “Pallor.” “Pallour” is not a word in any language but Canadians are sometimes prone to such things.