My school cut the study-abroad program to Spain because Spain supports terrorism.

One of the things which I have always wanted to do is become fluid in a second language. As I have a difficult time with just English, I figure the best way to learn the second language is to study abroad. I’ve spent a long of time and thought trying to decide what language is most useful to my future and where I should go, and I finally decided that I was going to take Spanish and go to Spain. And then this happened.

They didn’t even hide their political motivations.

This really pisses me off. Either I am going to have to switch schools or wait until I get into the UC system until I do the study-abroad program.

Fuck you, you cunt-munchers. Keep your fucking politics out of my educational life!

You might want to work on attaining fluency in this one first. :slight_smile:

You live in Southern California and you want to go to Spain to be immersed in the Spanish language???

I just read your OP more thoroughly and saw you already addressed this point but I skipped it in my rush to tweak you. Pft.

Sorry to hear your school system’s so stupidly reactionary. I’d expect more out of a Californian college.

I have tried and (obviously) failed. Maybe I will actually master Spanish!

Well, the use of fluid does make sense here. After all, fluid and fluent do have the same etymological origin.

Well, I sort of thought it would be neat to learn both European Spanish and Mexican Spanish. And besides, the area in which I live and interact has way more Asians and Persians than Mexicans. I’ve asked my Mexican co-workers to speak Spanish to me, but that’s hardly an immersion.

Just come here to Florida, and head down to the southern tip of FL. You’ll become fluent or die trying. Literally.

Interesting, though. When I was in high school, I was signed up for a “study abroad” program for a summer trip to Spain – it was cancelled due to terrorism fears. This was back when Libya was the problem (mid 80s). I ended up getting on with a different program and went to Spain for in the summer and stayed with a host family for a month. In the original program, I was to take Spanish classes over there (in Salamanca) – in the one I went on, no classes. Just the stay. I ended up in a little town an hour away from Zaragoza.

I guess your options are more limited if you’re trying to do this through your college. Hope you get a chance to go some time.

Where in Spain were you originally to be going? If in the northeast part of the country, then get used to thpeaking with a lithp. :wink: Castillian Spanish, and all. Unfortunately, it rubbed off on me when I stayed near Tharagotha, but then I broke that habit the next summer when I visited Cuba.

Sorry to hear about this decision, though. I could understand if there was a safety concern, but when it’s just politics. Bah. Politics on either side shouldn’t prevent students from having learning opportunities.

[Spaniard hat]

Well, there sure as hell ain’t anyone speaking it in California!

[/Spaniard hat]

:eek:
Un-fucking-real!

So students aren’t allowed to study in any country which doesn’t support our agenda? Or is it just allies who don’t go along with everything we say? Insane.

Well, trustee Tom Fuentes, pat yourself on the back for taking several steps backward with regard to the pursuit of international understanding. What a narrow-minded decision.

All part of the general impression I get in America that Spanish is not a ‘real’ language. The language of Cervantes is the language of servants.

Yep, those Spanish bastards are all friendly with the Godless Terrorists!

Asshole. And with a name like “Fuentes,” you’d think the guy might have a touch more tolerance for Spain.

:rolleyes:

Except for the fact that you’re probably more likely to see Spanish offered in a school than any other foreign language.

So wanky statements like “youre either with us or against us” were actually true.

At least something was …

Sin

No, because he’s not one a’ them dirty furriners, he’s a good 'ol Murrican.

Robin

But Paul in Saudi is more or less right–right now, Spanish is an underclass language. In most of parts of the country that weren’t inherited from Spain or that lack a longstanding Spanish-speaking professional class, it’s what you use to communicate with gardeners and hotel maids. Sure there exceptions like California or Florida where speaking Spanish is part of the mainstream culture, but in much of this country, as in NoVa, Spanish is the language of the poor, the recent immigrant, and the disenfranchised. Eventually, Spanish will attain more of an equal status in America, something like the codominion of French and English in Canada, but there’s no need to use rolleyes smilies at an honest assessment of the status of Spanish right now in the US.

kimera, does your school have any other study-abroad programs? I’m wondering if other freedom-hating nations are being protested by the trustees as well…

Heh, I just answered my own question. If having a study-abroad program somehow reflects political agreement, then Spain is less agreeable than Egypt