My sister who sees everything I want to see

Not a long list of things mind you, but twice now notable jets have flown over Belfast and she’s been the one to see them. First Concorde on its last trip around the UK and now one of the last Canberra’s makes a fly by and I miss that too :rolleyes:

As an aside, it may have spurred me on to study if Queen’s University had kept its air squadron, where the pilot in the article learned to fly :slight_smile:

You have only one option - kill her and take her house.

My mother will be turning 80 in a few months. Know what she does in her spare time? Little things like kayaking the Galapagos Islands and studying howler monkeys in Belize. That’s in between making award-winning pottery fish. Fuck, I’m jealous.

At least I got to join her on an eight-day rafting trip down the Colorado through the Grand Canyon.

That’s the thing, she doesn’t have a desirable pad at all. She was woken twice last night, once by drunken women trying to kick in a door down the street from her and once by a couple across the road shagging.

She saw Concorde walking home after class at uni’ and saw the Canberra looking out of the window at the offices where she temps.

I was too hot and tired to bother looking at the lightning (no, not the jet fighter) last night and missed some great forked lightning, the first such storm here since the 80s at least. Little sis of course saw it all :rolleyes:

I lived in London for two years and I really missed thunder/lightening storms. I grew up in the midwest (US) and we used to have some killer ones (complete with tornados). Our house was struck by lightening once and it blew out all the small appliances. The weird thing was that some of them turned on (radios) and you couldn’t turn them off again. And there was a neat little hole in the wall of my parents bedroom.

Fingers crossed there’ll be another, humidity is meant to be way up this weekend and another might clear the air again. It was great to come outside this morning into the cool with the ground damp. Plus it would be great to see the lightning this time :wink:

Don’t feel bad–when Haley’s comet went by in 1986(?)–we were socked in solid with a pure blanket of grey clouds for 2 weeks straight. Missed that. Missed that other comet that made the news, too. I’ve missed a lot of things-things I shouldn’t have, like eclipses…

Re thunder storms. I have a cyber pen pal in Lancashire. When I once mentioned posting through a major thunder boomer here, she wrote back and asked all about it–apparently she hasn’t seen many such storms. Now I know what to show her if she evers comes here!

Don’t feel bad–when Haley’s comet went by in 1986(?)–we were socked in solid with a pure blanket of grey clouds for 2 weeks straight. Missed that. Missed that other comet that made the news, too. I’ve missed a lot of things-things I shouldn’t have, like eclipses…

Re thunder storms. I have a cyber pen pal in Lancashire. When I once mentioned posting through a major thunder boomer here, she wrote back and asked all about it–apparently she hasn’t seen many such storms. Now I know what to show her if she evers comes here!

We missed it because Dad was looking the wrong way for us… :rolleyes:

Can you schedule those things where you live? Cool! :wink:

Hey, at least you weren’t two years old. Man, I’ve missed the Cuban missile crisis, the JFK assassination, the moon landing, the civil rights movements, [del]disco[/del], the Mets winning the world series (86), the fall of the Berlin wall and the collapse of the USSR, all because of my age. So nyah. :stuck_out_tongue:

I live vicariously through my parents’ adventures. Right now they are cruising around Svalbard. Next month, the coast of Norway.

A couple of years ago, trips to Alaska and Hawaii in the same year
Nepal
Egypt
Antarctica via Chile and Argentina
Galapagos Islands, of course via Ecuador
All of the lower 48, including most of the national parks
most of Canada
New Zealand
Australia

Yeah, no, not in terms of geographic area! But in terms of parks and more often-visited areas. Like that Nunavit, where Mom got to wade in the Arctic Ocean.

One thing I love about my current apartment is that it is a great place to see storms! A lot of them seem to break over Hamilton, and we get a fantastic view. We also look out over a large park-like cemetary and the escarpment, which gives storms a very “natural” look, as opposed to seeing them over a city skyline and neighbouring buildings. I think the cemetary flagpole gets struck by lightning a lot. Either it, or the tall statue of Jesus a little further in!

We also get to see pretty much every flight of the Avro Lancaster that the Warplane Heritage Museum has. They often fly it from Hamilton to Toronto, and it goes right past our window.( There are only 2 flying Lancasters left in the world, so I think it’s pretty cool). Occasionally, we see some of the smaller warplanes and trainers too.

A Lancaster is a rare bird indeed, especially an airworthy model.

My Dad did go on a great holiday once, Poland in Communist times. He has a few slides showing the sorts of things that were supposed to exist in every Communist country, the long long queues for a simple ice cream on a cone, the few cars in a big city, the large Communist party building dominating the city etc etc.

He got in some great skiing, changed money on the black market and somehow managed to accidently end up in a strip club :dubious: The flight across Europe for five pounds with Aeroflot was a bonus too :smiley: