My son has never heard "The Battle Hymn of the Republic"

In chatting with my son son today about history and the Civil War I asked if he had ever heard that song. He said he hadnt and in fact, they never learned to sing any patriotic songs.

Back when I was in school we learned Battle Hymn.

He also never learned My Country Tis of Thee.

Do you think our youth should learn patriotic songs?

We had ‘Battle Hymn of the Republic’ at school, but it wasn’t seen as anything other than just a hymn.

Best version ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t4TC6h9bpo

What is a good argument for why they should?

Maybe he knows “Battle Hymn” as The Burning of the School?

Not even the Burning of the School version?? His friends have failed him.

Speaking of failing him, if you think he should have learned those songs, why didn’t you teach him? I mean, if you feel “patriotic” songs are an important part of a child’s upbringing, maybe you should get involved. Or, since that particular song is pretty religious (Glory, glory Hallelujah, teacher hit me with a ruler…etc.), maybe you’re taking him to the wrong church.

I know that my kids know all the songs from the Blues Brothers movie, for example, since I thought it was important that they know them. They know lots of Weird Al songs as well, since I think humor is an important part of a kid’s upbringing.

I feel like you’ve really let him down.

ETA: Darn! Partially ninja’d by Machine Elf

Sure, so grab your guitar and teach him some.

Ironically, there’s probably a large overlap between the people who think schools should be teaching children The Battle Hymn of the Republic and the people who display Confederate flags.

If you think he should know these, teach him yourself. Why should schools teach this?

That’a actually Solidarity Forever and God Save the Queen with the words changed. What are they teaching kids in school these days?!

Solidarity Forever is actually the Battle Hymn since the Battle Hymn predated it by 50 some years. Of course, the Battle Hymn is actually ‘John Brown’s Body.’ And John Brown’s body is actually a camp meeting song from the Second Great Awakening called ‘Oh Brothers.’ The original author has been lost to history.

Or if you don’t sing well, there’s You Tube.

So what? He’s probably never heard/seen lots of things.

“Battle Hymn of the Republic” has become a museum piece, that’s why.

OP, I never pegged you for a liberal, expecting the government to do everything for you, including parenting. I thought you were in the party of personal responsibility.

Live and learn, I guess.

Any student these days that dared to sing such a violent song would be lucky to get off with a 3-day suspension.

That would be “Dixie” and the confederate flag, not “Battle Hymn” (a union song)

How about if you sing the one about the dead polar bear?

:D:D

I think Battle Hymn probably fits in with any number of “Americana” songs - Home on the Range, Red River Valley, etc - that most grade school children should be exposed to.

Of course, the days are long past, when every classroom had an upright piano, and every teacher could pound away at such songs for the regular “music” lessons…