My son likes watching me play video games. What first-person-shooter would be good to play?

Here is what I would like. I am currently playing Battlefront 2’s single-player mode, which is a very PG first person shooter(for the most part). It’s fun and appropriate for my 10 year old son to watch sometimes when I play.

I would like a game that:

• isn’t massively violent(Doom and Doom Eternal, for example)
  • is somewhat recent(uh, last 5-7 years?)
  • has an easy difficulty setting(I’m a wimp)

I am exclusively on PC running Windows. I’m fine buying a game or waiting for a sale, but here is what I have.

Here is my entire Steam Library(I think this is a public link to it)

I don’t know how to show my Epic Games and Ubisoft library, but I have some games there. Nothing super amazing in the First Person Shooter area.

Anything I should grab?

Kid-friendly FPS?

Uhh… if Battlefront 2 is OK maybe Overwatch? ESRB T for Teen.

~Max

Take a look at the X089 games from Phr00t.

I recommend the Call of Duty Modern Warfare series (they recently remastered the first two do they have 2018 graphics but the 3rd is still 2010 PC graphics)

The shooting isn’t that violent (you see blood on bullet hits but it’s basically PG-13 action movie violence) and they don’t use anything harder than SHIT in the first game while FUCK is only seldomly uttered in the second and third games from what I remember.

But I love them because they’re super cinematic, they’re very entertaining watches if your kid loves PG-13 action movies.

I don’t know what franchise you’re thinking of, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is the one where you literally participate in a mass shooting of unarmed civilians at an airport.

~Max

Yep.

I take that back. It’s probably as kid-friendly as Star Wars: Battlefront II, but this is an online deathmatch style game like… Quake III Arena. Probably not what you’re looking for if you like singleplayer FPS games on easy mode.

Subnautica is a fun first-person game to watch, and it’s kid-friendly E10+, but it’s not really a shooter. More like, explore the ocean and craft things.

Hmm… how about Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare? It’s a third-person shooter, not first-person. But Star Wars: Battlefront II is third-person unless you’re sniping, IIRC.

ETA: Gameplay from random YouTube video:

~Max

Deep Rock Galactic

I took Violence to mean gore not people getting killed in general.

Titanfall 2. Same universe as Apex Legends, and very mild iirc. Maybe some swearing. Not gory or ultraviolent. Helps when most of the enemies are mechanical or non human.

Looking at you Steam library, Portal 1 and 2 seem good candidates if you haven’t already played them with your son.

If you have, there’s Quantum Condundrum. A step down from Portal, but even more cute and kid friendly as I remember.

If you’re not needing to be actually shooting, Mirror’s Edge could be an option.

Also, Superhot is all polygons and very unreal. Might be a bit too hard though.

If you reach back further there’s the Thief games. There’s a recentish one, but I have heard nothing good about it.

Again, older than you’re looking for, and only legitimately available used as a physical copy, but the No One Lives Forever games are mild.

I’ve legit never played a Call of Duty game. Is the single player good? I’m not interested in online and that is my main association with them.

Gore is what I’m trying to avoid. In my Star Wars game, I’m killing tons of people, but not like Doom, where I presume blood is flying.

Is there a “best” Call of Duty single-player campaign?

Nobody has said “Serious Sam” yet. There’s a lot to choose from. The Serious Sam HD remixes are nice, Serious Sam 2 is bright, colourful, bewildering and showing its age. The others are… less suitable for a kid.

The two of 'em I’ve suggested above are not really gory or anything, but also have a setting so you can turn the gibs and bloodsplats into hotdogs or flowers.

Anyway, the gameplay is described by the developers as “frantic action feeling”. Lots of weird-looking enemies run at you, shoot at you, or run at you while shooting at you. You spend a lot of time dodging, circle-strafing and firing a lot of firepower to knock out dozens of enemies at a time. Sometimes the protagonist makes groan-worthy one-liners.

Looks like you have Portal and Portal 2. Have you played those with your kid watching? Hilarious, kid-friendly, interesting, intelligent.

The single player campaign in the first was pretty much lifted directly from Band of Brothers.

Oh, yes. He loved that whole experience.

The games always have good single players but they’re over shadowed by the fondness people have for their multiplayer.

The first two games are relatively generic but entertaining World War 2 scenarios where you play as Russians, British and Americans in different campaigns but each campaign is basically independent of one another.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was the first call of duty game where the campaigns actually intersected, having you play as a US Marine in one Campaign and a British SAS operative in the other and seeing them intersect. The single player in COD4 at the time was called one of the best FPS campaigns of all time for good reason, even today it’s pretty damn impactful on an emotional level. Modern Warfare 2 and 3 are much more in the spectacle side of things being glorified Michael Bay set pieces but they’re also very entertaining to both play and watch. COD4: Modern Warfare is the best one by far though if you just want to try just one.

I was going to recommend that, I’ve been playing that with my daughter since she was 5. Very silly cartoon violence and the game isn’t too bad. I’ve never played it on PC though.

Is PvZ a first person shooter? I thought it was a tower defense game or something.

Yes. And Warcraft is a RTS game, but World of Warcraft is an MMORPG. If you get that reference hopefully you understand the relationship here.

Ah, Garden Warfare is the FPS version.

I never liked Warcraft as a RTS game. I like those kinds of games where you only have to harvest one thing, maybe one thing plus energy. Dune 2 for the win!

To the OP, looks like you have a bunch of Lego games so you know how much fun they are (although they aren’t really FPS). The Half Life 2 games are pretty kid-friendly in terms of blood and cursing – did you play those with your kid watching? Maybe play one of those again.