My thread about VPNs

Visible Panty…umm… Very Prominent…umm… hmm, you may have a point there!

Visible Panty Ninjas!

Calling dibs on the band name.

It’s like witnessing and sharing in the unfiltered joy of a baby discovering the mobile dangling above his crib, or the squeak of a rubber ducky, or his own tongue. Just, you know. Older.

So the mods apparently had enough time to talk this issue over in the mod loop, and to reach a decision about the appropriateness of the post, but not enough time to send a 10-word PM telling the OP what their decision was.

OK then.

I’m still sitting here in amazement that a mod actually said to a poster who had been nothing but polite “you don’t have a clue, do you?” I mean, wow. Could you be more of a jerk? Oh, wait, couldn’t be that; that’s against the rules.

Or maybe responding to CW wasn’t the number one priority for the mods. Maybe they figured that his desire to share information from a 2 1/2 year old article didn’t justify a [del]demand[/del] request for a 24-hour response. Perhaps CW tends to fall north of the medium-maintenance line and an immediate response wasn’t the best idea.

I doubt you’re correct that it had been bandied about the mod loop for a while and a decision had been reached. The mod-loop conversations might be nothing more than “this seems potentially problematic. What do you think?” The thread was closed not because they had reached a consensus decision, but because CW didn’t wait for it.

This is all a bullshit popularity contest. It’s bullshit to keep putting the guy off, and it’s bullshit you had time to come close the thread but not to give an answer.

If you have some reason to believe a poster isn’t on the up-and-up, then address that instead of this cowardly gotcha crap.

Fairly typical.
Charlie should check out his nearest Ecuadorian Embassy.

But he didn’t demand or request a 24-hour response. What he did was wait five full days, and then told them that if he hadn’t heard back in *another *24 hours, he would assume that it was OK to post the thread.

Why don’t you read the damn thread?

Here’s what Idle Thoughts, an actual moderator, had to say in post #8 of this very thread:

And here’s what he said in post #5:

As i said, they had time to hash this out in the mod loop, but not the time to send a 10-word PM explaining their decision to the one person who was waiting for it.

Ecuador is a country on the northwest side of South America that is bordered the countries of Peru and Colombia. It is one of the Spanish-speaking countries, unlike Brazil where they speak Portuguese. Many people don’t know that “Ecuador” is the Spanish word for “equator.” Does anyone know of any good resources such as a library where I might be able to learn more about this fascinating country? Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

:smack: You’re right. I tend to skim over most of what Idle Thoughts says and pay more attention to ECG. His post #11 sounded like it was still an open question in the mod loop.

Carry on with the recreational outrage.

That’s what you got from it?

That’s like getting from “If you murder people and get caught, you go to jail”, the lesson “Okay, so don’t get caught then” rather than “Don’t murder anyone”.

Lesson learned here should be “If you do ask for permission and a mod replies back asking you for clarification (which means they obviously read your asking about it and have NOT yet given the go ahead), you wait on making it rather than make it”.

This made me laugh more than hearing someone say titmouse.

You seem to imply here that the OP did not send you the requested clarification. But it appears he did.

So, he asked, you didnt say no, and you lagged on answering. He even sent you a reasonable Pm saying that if you didnt respond within a reasonable time frame, he’d take that as a Yes.

Well, that’s the mistake the poster makes then. Mods will always say “Yes, go ahead then, you have your permission to make the the topic” and if you make a topic without hearing that, the topic will probably be closed.*

In the cases where mods forget or are busy or just don’t reply with that again, the correct thing to do is PM again saying something like “Hey, hello, remember me? Any word on this? I’ve been waiting a few days.”
In this case, a mod did not see his “I’m going to take this as a yes if you don’t reply”, because he only sent it to one mod and that mod was away for five days and just got back last night.

So again, that bolded part of your quote (that I bolded), you don’t do.

*In a case where someone asks permission and doesn’t get a “Yes, go ahead” right away, which Charlie didn’t

Even if you are unpaid volunteers its pretty disrespectful to leave somebody twiddling their thumbs for that length of time. Its just a suggested thread on a message board ffs, just say yes or no instead of pretending that asking a question on the fabled mod loop takes longer than a parliamentary inquiry.

And its really the cherry on top to then give him grief for finally getting fed up and just posting the damn thing, because frankly, I’d have done it a lot sooner than waiting 5 or 6 days.

I can fully understand why somebody would hear that and decide its better not to ask in the first place, nobody likes being ignored.

Or Titicaca. :smiley:

No - what I get from it is that except in two noted cases

• requests fro money
  • requests fro homework help/recruiting

There is no reason to ask for permission to post threads - of any other type - and that asking permission to do what you should be able to do without it is more trouble than its worth.

Thats what I get from it.

And again - we are not privvy to the mod loop, the discussion or the clarifications (or any edits) that he may or may not have made to his OP - if there is any info that you have that would clarify your position, you might want to get permission and post it.

And you all have still avoided the 2 questions I;ve asked,

So - here again -

What rule did he break in the posting of the thread? (other than the ‘he asked permission and had yet to recieve it’ bs.)
Had he not asked for permission - given the actual content in the thread - would it have been shut down?

Or should we take it from here that all posters should request permission from mods at all times before creating new threads or posts that might possibly, potentially have information nefarious people can use?

But he did ask for permission…and he was going to be told “no”. So the thread got closed.

And in the future, it’s best to know that one should wait for a reply first rather than make the thread…and, if an answer doesn’t come, you PM them again or try PMing another mod who may be there and not on a five day vacation.

That’s the answer. Obviously you disagree with it, don’t like it and call it BS, but that’s the answer nevertheless.
If you ask for permission, you wait to get an answer…and since the answer in this case was going to be “no”, it was closed.