My wife & kids are missing...

I know you can’t help worrying, but a million to one your wife just spaced, or got temporarily lost. Believe me, it’s easy to do around Boston, where the road signs would have you believe you’re going north and south at the same time.

Hang in there, and post as soon as you hear.

I’m a worrier too. Hell, my kids walk to school and I fret when they’re late.

I would think your wife would be a bit more sensitive, and not worry you so much.

Keep us informed…

Dammit… now you’ve got the rest of us worrying too.

They’re fine. Totally fine.

I blame the phone.

The cell carrier is sprint, and there’s no onstar or GPS or any of that. My options are, essentially, sit & wait or try to stir up a manhunt.

I’m sticking to the ‘sit-n-wait’ option for the moment.

Logic & rationality are one thing, but the gut don’t pay no mind to the brain. “The heart has reasons that reason cannot know” & all.

it’s a longshot but you might try calling the cafe you referenced to see if her (possibly lost) cellphone turned up.

The LI to NH route (I use I-84 to I-495) without traffic is a good 6 hours. It’s longer if you take I-95. Given what time they left NYC, I’m gonna say they hit a load of rush hour traffic getting out of NY; And given what you’ve said about the missus, it probably hasn’t occured to her that you’re worried and waiting
Stay calm - find something to do to distract yourself. I think you’ll hear from them around 8: or 9: pm

We were taking a vacation with Ivylad’s family last year. We were all driving from Florida to a cabin in Gatlinburg, TN.

We left last, and were somewhat concerned when we found out we had arrived first. No one else was there. Of course, in the mountains, cell phone coverage is the shit, so we went to the cabin with the thought that if no one showed up we were going to have to drive back to FL, checking for accidents along the road.

They all showed up about three hours later. It turns out they had done some sightseeing along the way, and spent quite a bit of time at one of those roadside “Pan for Your Own Gold and Gems” places for the kids.

My MIL was quite cavalier about it, shrugging it off with, “I’m on vacation,” until I pointed out how frantic her son was, not knowing where they were or being unable to get ahold of them.

I hope your wife and kids are fine. They probably just stopped at Chuck E. Cheese or something.

My mom does this to me every time she travels. She moves at the speed of molasses, and it takes twice as long as it should for her to go somewhere. Last time she came to visit me, after she left, she went to visit my brother. A trip that took me about 4 hours took her about 9 hours (there was a major wrong turn in there somewhere, but how do you go that far without realizing you’re going the wrong way? :confused: ). And she never turns her cell phone on, even if I ask her to. She has a birthday coming up soon…maybe I should get her a chauffeur.

Update? I hope everyone is fine.

It’s been over 3 hours since your last post Jim. Any news? Many here are anxiously holding our collective breath. With fingers crossed…
Nic

I’m sure they’re ok. I’m the type who’d worry myself into a ridiculous frenzy, too.

Come back with an update, please?

fingers crossed

Keep us updated. My stomach sympathizes with yours.

So, she finally called me.

She got into NYC sometime this morning. Since there was so much traffic on the GW bridge, she decided to make it a day trip to the city.

So she & the kids have been bopping around the city all day long, touring, having a grand old time, and generally enjoying the hell out of life.

On the one hand, I’m incredibly happy that she’s alive.

On the other, I want to kill her myself.

When I talked to her (around 6PM) she planned to leave NYC at 8.

I just tried calling her. Her phone is off.

:mad:

I’m going to go have a drink.

You guys are the best. I love you’se all.

I’m so glad everyone is ok.

Glad to hear it turned out ok! :slight_smile:

Glad to hear that!

I’m glad to hear that everyone’s OK. :slight_smile:

Thank goodness everyone’s all right. I think you could alternately drink, sing happy songs, and swear loudly. That would be a good tension-reliever.

I am so glad to hear this news. I’ve experianced similar stuff and the old feelings came back to me.
Enjoy that drink and kiss her when she gets home.

Glad all is well.

However…and I know you didn’t ask, but I am going to say it anyway…

This behavior from your wife is completely unacceptable. Not only is she your wife, and you are concerned for her well being while she is travelling, but they are YOUR KIDS! You should never be unduly concerned about the whereabouts of your kids because your wife decides to simply “make a day” in the city. You deserve a call. The deep dreadful feeling of not knowing where your kids are is not something that should be inflicted on you by your wife.

I once dated a girl who would get “distracted”. She would call me saying she was on the way to my house, then 3 hours later she would show up saying she had run into a friend, or she went shopping, or whatever. My BS meter was tripped on many occassions, and regardless of why she was unreachable and late, she never gave me the courtesy of a call. She knew I was worried when she did that, but it did not register high enough on her list of priorities to warrant a call. This chick was simply self absorbed and held me in little regard. All that mattered to her was that she was doing what she wanted to do at the moment, other people and future ramifications be damned.

I cannot fathom being placed in a similar situation where I could not find my kids because of my wife.

Not to upset you or anything man, but this girl had other “responsibility” issues like money and honesty among other things. I think you know what I am saying. Just be careful. If it sounds like BS and smells like BS, it probably is…BS.