Mystery Map

The map you linked to and the one in the OP are very similar, but they aren’t the same.

The original has a date of 2011 and this one has a date on 2010. Presumably they’d be the maps for tax revenues for tax year '10 and '09 respectively?

I prefer the green and yellow, myself.

Not with Hawaii and Alaska the same color.

Tin Eye said:

But I figured that was cheating, so I waited till someone else got it.

Duh me. :smack:

What are states that have never been in my kitchen?

How about states looking to beat up Missouri?

This map isn’t so mysterious. (slightly not safe for work)

Drugs looks like a nice place to vacation with maybe a weekend stay over in Sluts and Slums.

This is an easy one. Blue states = cool people, Red states = assholes.

Any chance of the OP confirming if any of us were right? I’d like my glory, please.

I love the “Closed Ports” reference for Madagascar.:smiley:

Ok, here’s the answer:

the blue states have higher than median rates of autism. red states have lower than median rates of autism. There does seem to be a striking relationship between tax/revenue balance and autism.

Just musing: Going completely by this single sentence and some very, very broad stereotypes/assumptions about incomes, is it possible that the red states have lower rates of autism due to lower availability of medical/diagnostic services? If there’s no means to conduct a diagnosis, the rates are going to be very low indeed.

You know the saying that correlation doesn’t equal causation? I know you’re not exactly arguing that money = autism, but how would that work anyway? Do dollar bills increase the risk of autism? Do kids get so freaked out by a huge budget they lose control of their minds? So what’s your theory on why these two seem related? I agree with mnemosyne that it may be due to just a lack of good diagnostic equipment available

A big part could be better medical care so just increased diagnosis. Many kids with mild autism probably get diagnosed in the richer states that just get labeled slow or problem children in poorer states.

Because in the blue states autism seems different than average :slight_smile:

This similarity is interesting and should be examined further.

The original link seems to be broken. I was going to start a thread about this topic. Anybody have a way to access the original?