"Mystery surrounds costly spy program"

Death Ray. Based on a model from, oh, about 8 decades ago.

Or they’re getting the mineshafts ready:

I think what we’re dealing with has more to do with Solid Harlow Italic Typefonts.

It would not be the first time , that someone like the NSA , CIA or the AirForce/Navy has diverted money from an existing program to a black program , and keep the GAO happy or at least at bay.

Just thinking about how to take out a KH-11 bigbird , either the opFor has a space craft , in which case we can determine where it launched , its piggy backed onto a commercial satellite in which case we can investigate who built it and so forth, or a directed energy weapon from the surface.

The Sats are venerable, but no more venerable that when the Sovs were playing big bad red machine doing the world tour.

Something is being funded , but not arming satelites.

Declan

I know the KH-11 series and Hubble are getting old, Declan, but there’s no need to call them Venerable!

My sources tell me this initiative will result in greater exploration of one of the least explored areas of the planet. Apparently, we’ve only been there once. For about 20 minutes.

But he couldn’t tell me where it was.

One options is on the black re-implementation of the full Total Information Awareness program, including the parts they were too embarassed to disclose prior to the election. The levels of public encription technology available now is not pleasing to the NSA et al. I imagine this program is proposed to remedy that. Whether it works or not (see i.e. Anti-ballistic missle defense programs) is entirely another story. But a threat to national security? Doesn’t seem likely.

Also, the much rumored replacement for the SR-71, next gen unmanned spy birds and orbital objects are going to take some serious coin. Again, expensive programs loaded with political reward pork- sure. Threats to national security? Unlikely again.

Given the current administration’s obsession with ABM, and how badly the previous implementations have fared from a cost, implementation and PR basis (as well as the very, very, very hostile reactions of the Russians- and oh yeah, the ABM treaty)- I would put my money on that being likely to be the ill-advised black program.

Or maybe they are finally funding that Metal Gear program. . .

:wink:

[Dr. Evil]
The money is being used to develop a method of focusing light to a single point. This beam of light will be called a “laser”. It will be made portable enough so that it can be attached to some of the most fearsome carnivores in the ocean.
[/Dr. Evil]

Hmm, maybe I was close.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2004-12-09-spy-budget-mystery_x.htm

and later

Return of the Star Wars program?

The article has some nice information.

If only the gov’t had done more stem cell research – Then we wouldn’t need to find a team of misifts.

Me, I just wanna say what a pleasure it was to read this entire thread without seeing one mention of the 3rd decade of the last century.

Like this one?

Why do you have to do this with someone’s harmless little comment? You’re getting to be like Eeyore.

I actually went through that tunnel on a Universal Studios tour in '79 or so. Can you believe it was even cheesier in person?

And how bad is a show that it can’t get cable syndication even with a zillion channels?

Hey, as long as the Russians have their own version, we’ll be A-OK. I welcome our new silicon overlords.

Orbits are simple, so they are venerable.

The only trick is that only so many players can put something up there , to effectively negate any sat.

As soon as Rutan put that bird into low orbit , all of sudden the pentagon comes out with plans for a space superiority platform, which leads me to conclude that its not that hard a thing to do.

Declan

Me too! I nearly vomited on the beehive hairdoo in front of me due to the motion sickness.

Either you meant to write “vulnerable” or I’m missing something here.