Mystical Ley-Lines: Are they real?

There’s a theory (with which I am just casually familiar and I recognize that I’m probably going to get this totally wrong, but whatever) that the earth’s energy can be harnessed in a rather mystical way, and that this is what the Druids were doing with their ancient monoliths like Stonehenge, i.e., aligning markers at key spots on the Earth (esp. the British Isles) as a means of focusing the power of the Earth for whatever mystical reasons they had for doing so.

This is similar to the notion that Taos, NM and other places marked by ancient monuments is a place of great power.

Is this true?

No, the technical term for it is ‘new age nonsense’.

Also Stonehenge (which is not a monlith, but made out of monoliths), pre-dates the druids by many centuries. The druids, though they idid sometimes use pre-existing sites like Stonehenge, were much more into sacred groves and the like.

There are magnetic field lines around the planet. I’ve even heard them referred to as ley lines by some people, even in non-pseudoscience situations. But they aren’t what the Druids and such were referring to, as they didn’t have satellites to measure the magnetic field, and for the most part lacked anything as advanced as a magnetic compass.

I guess Laura Lee did a show touching on this topic (who else?)…

I half heard some guy on the radio trying to explain Ley lines. He said to get a map and draw lines from churches and other religiously significant places and that these were the actual lines. I really cannot relate what else he said, and it didn’t seem to make alot of sense to me.

Except that ley lines predate the ‘new age nonsense’ that’s been attached to them.

http://www.occultopedia.com/l/ley_lines.htm

Absent any evidence of ancient roads, or mysterious forces, ley lines are probably just a case of pareidolia, seeing patterns where there are no patterns.

I stole that word and link from the Bad Astronomy site, couldn’t resist, it’s such a good word !

Not to pile on nisobar, but every time someone mentions “ley lines” it seems to me they always try to explain what the Druids were doing with Stonehenge.

Be skeptical of any explanation of paranormal phenomena that credits the Druids with building Stonehenge; this is probably about as historically accurate as crediting the Ford administration with building the Colossus of Rhodes, or claiming that Leonardo da Vinci was one of the twelve apostles.

I had heard of computer studies finding virtual “ley lines” in collections of random points. Google found me this and many more.

The point of the article is that randomly scattered points contain alignments with frequencies similar to those of reported “genuine” ley lines.

Hey, speaking of Da Vinci, check out a print of The Last Supper. Here is one, but any will do.

Third from the left is St.Andrew(?) Who is that holding a knife to him, and WTF is that all about?

I saw this at one of my goofy conspiracy sites, so I may be reading into it too much. :wink:

Best to start such questions at Skepdic for economy.