Nails across a chalkboard

why does the sound (or even the thought) of someone scraping their nails across a chalkboard make me feel so uncomfortable that i want to curl up in the fetal position and die? [note, i’m being hyperbolic people, please just stick to the thread)

I don’t know, but it’s not painful at all to me. It’s a little annoying, sure, but it’s not painful or extremely uncomfortable like you describe.

Last time I read an article on this, I don’t think there was a consensus of opinion why this is so.

I seem to recall that someone did some experiments, and counter-intuitively it was actually the lower frequencies in the sound that bothered people.

Y’know, this is now officially weird. I’ve been here a year and a half, now, and never saw this come up. Then, all of a sudden, two threads on it in the same month. The previous thread was What do fingernails on blackboards do?, from the sixth of the month, if you want to read up on it.

Heck, that thread is barely below the surface, yet. I’ll just close this one, and if you’re still wondering after reading that one, just go ahead and bump it.