Name a country and recommend a movie from there.

Italy: Amarcord. 1974. Didn’t get into Fellini until I was in my '40s. This made me admit I was missing out…

Japan: Onibaba. 1964. 14th century period war drama, except from the point of view of two women who live among a wilderness of 10-foot grasses and murder samurai for their armor. There are also demons, and a bottomless pit. Really more of a horror movie than a war movie, stunning in originality.

Australia: Picnic at Hanging Rock. 1975. Yeah, an obvious choice for Australia, but as spooky and eerie and nightmarish as ever.

England: The Ladykillers. 1955. I love the Ealing comedies, and I love Alec Guinness, and this is my favorite performance of his. Even his teeth are funny.

Poland: Katyn A film about the Soviet slaughter of thousands of Polish officers and citizens in the Katyn Forest in 1940.

Bhutan, The Cup (1999). Young Tibetan refugees at a monastery in India are desperate to watch the World Cup being played in France.

Bhutan: Travellers and Magicians, 2003. I don’t remember much about this movie, but I remember liking it when I saw it. So, sort of a recommendation?

Poland/French: The Double Life of Veronique, 1991. My favorite movie of all time, great movie by a great director (Kieslowski).

Nigeria: Rain the Color of Blue with a Little Bit of Red In It, 2015. Nigerian re-make of Purple Rain, kind of brilliant actually.

On edit: Dang, I was too slow and two of my countries were taken!

Ireland - The Commitments. Really a three country production, but since Jameson declared it the greatest Irish film of all time, we’ll go with that. :wink:

Australia - The Odd Angry Shot. An often overlooked movie about Australian involvement in Vietnam.

I don’t think the OP’s intent was to only have one film from each country, but rather one film per country from each poster. Otherwise, it’s going to be a short thread.

New Zealand: Dead Alive

New Zealand - What We Do In The Shadows

I’ve linked the opening 6 minutes, but the movie is far funnier throughout. I’ve rarely laughed so hard.

Germany: Die Wand (The Wall) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/die_wand/

It’s breathtaking and heart wrenching and absolutely brilliant. I suppose if you can’t suspend disbelief, the “invisible wall” thing will bother you, but I encourage you to try.

Colombia: Embrace of the Serpent, which was given an Oscar.

It was on Netflix at some point. An…OK movie. I had loved the trailer, but found the movie to be less than it should be.

I actually recommend Z for Zacharia more. Similar, but better.

Australia - “Cane Toads: An Unnatural History”

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0130529/

Freaking hilarious.

Obvious choice? Ahem… Mad Max. :wink:

Australia: The Dish. It’s about coverage of the first moon landing. It’s funny, especially the scene where a local band tried to play the U.S. national anthem.

I liked Norway’s “Troll Hunter.”

There’s a little known film I saw that is form NZ, mostly. Some of you may have heard of it:

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

Australia : Mad Max Fury Road

Even more obvious, to me. It is the best Australian movie I’ve seen, despite being filmed elsewhere.

France - La Femme Nikita

Sweden - Montenegro

Movies I love not necessarily great “films”

I still say Cane Toads. :wink: Nothing more Australian than that!

Plus, you just know those toads would survive an apocalypse better than Mad Max would. :smiley: