Name a country and recommend a movie from there.

Iceland:
Hrafninn flýgur (original title)
When the Raven Flies (UK title)
Revenge of the Barbarians (US title) :rolleyes:

Ireland: The Snapper

France: Ridicule

Italy: The Leopard

Australia: Children of the Revolution

Norway:
Ofelas (original title)
Pathfinder (English title)

Denmark: Babette’s Feast

Sweden: The Seventh Seal

Russia: Burnt by the Sun

Mexico: Like Water for Chocolate

Germany: The Lives of Others

Czech Republic: I Served the King of England

Spain: High Heels

Brazil - Elite Force (Tropa de Elite) and its even more impressive sequel, Elite Force II.

That’s a very good choice.
Canada-The Sweet Hereafter.

nm

The best New Zealand film actually about New Zealand is no doubt The Piano.

Sorry, I’m going to break the one film per poster rule to also mention Utu, about the Maori Wars.

France - Betty Blue, released in 1986 and stars Beatrice Dalle.

Another one that’s both good and obscure is Moolade (2004), from Burkina Faso. Deals with female circumcision and, IIRC, made it onto Roger Ebert’s top-10 list for that year.

Peking Opera Blues…Hong Kong… Awesome comedic period piece

One film per country? Argh.
German: Das Boot
French: Fantastic Planet
British: Kind Hearts and Coronets
Japan: Spirited Away

I was going to post that one but you beat me to it.

An astounding film. 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

100%.

France - High tension

South Korea - I saw the devil

Germany - Aguirre, the wrath of god; Downfall (If I have to only pick one, I pick Aguirre)

Brazil - City of god

Sweden - Let the right one in

Spain - timecrimes

Russia: 12, a remake of 12 Angry Men, but with Russian sensibilities. The person being judged is a young Chechen accused of murdering his stepfather, who’s an officer in the Russian army. To say that these men are prejudiced against him would be putting it mildly!

France: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. A sobering look at a man who suffers a massive stroke and ends up with locked-in syndrome.

Seconded.

Serbia: Black cat, white cat

Argentina - “Wild Tales” (2014) Oscar nominated, “Six short stories that explore the extremities of human behavior involving people in distress.” (95% on Rotten Tomatoes)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3011894/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Germany - “Phoenix” (2015) “A disfigured concentration-camp survivor (Nina Hoss), unrecognizable after facial reconstruction surgery, searches ravaged postwar Berlin for the husband (Ronald Zehrfeld) who might have betrayed her to the Nazis.” (98% on Rotten Tomatoes)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2764784/?ref_=nv_sr_5

That was a most unfortunate thing for me. I went into the city to see a movie, which happened to be a double feature. The first one, mentioned earlier by mbh, was Almoldovar’s High Heels, followed by The Double Life of Veronique. After the strong primaries, images and dialog of the first movie, the second was just a tad too muddy, ethereal and slow for me to hold on to it. And I felt like it was getting kind of late for being downtown. I only lasted about 20 minutes into it.

In order from best to least good. None of them are anywhere near bad. All earned a rating of at least 8/10 from me which I don’t give out often.

Germany: M (1931)

The U.S.: All About Eve (1950)

Canada: Room (2015)

The U.K.: The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969)

The U.S.S.R.: Come and See (1985). The best war movie I’ve seen but very disturbing and hard to watch.

France: The 400 Blows (1959)

Spain: Pan’s Labyrinth (2006)

Switzerland: Three Colors: Red (1994)

Iran: A Separation (2011)

Japan: Tokyo Story (1953)

New Zealand: The Piano (1993)

Italy: Cinema Paradiso (1988)

Australia: Walkabout (1971)

Argentina: The Secret in their Eyes (El Secreto de sus ojos)
Japan: Tampopo
South Korea: The Host

That was not really a Swiss film, it was part of the Bleu, Blanc, Rouge trilogy whose titles were based on the colors of the flag of France.

Argentina, Chile and Perú - Motorcycle Diaries.